Hot/Cold Compression Test Engine Temp??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Hot/Cold Compression Test Engine Temp??

Post by Thomas M »

Regarding the "hot" compression test............

My head temp checks out at, say, 165 degrees F(using an infrared thermometer) when I stop the engine in my driveway. The shop replaced rebuilt injectors using the copper Permatex anti-sieze compound. I can see it oozing a little around the injector base where it meets the head.

What would be a good head temp at which to remove the injectors in order to do the compression test?

Should the injectors be removed one at a time or all at once?

After the hot test, I would do an overnight cool down and test all cylinders cold.
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Hot/Cold Compression Test Engine Temp??

Post by bscutt »

I removed mine all at once - makes the starter crank faster. As for temp it's hard to do this with the engine truly hot and not get burned but if you do it within 30 minutes of driving (warm weather of course) it should still be warm enough to get a good "hot" reading.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

bscutt wrote:I removed mine all at once - makes the starter crank faster. As for temp it's hard to do this with the engine truly hot and not get burned but if you do it within 30 minutes of driving (warm weather of course) it should still be warm enough to get a good "hot" reading.

Is there any issue regarding the injectors being seized in the aluminum head with the temperature so high? I've noted that there is copper anti-seize compound on the threads, so maybe it's not an issue. I don't want to do any damage to the aluminum threads.

I've never removed plugs or injectors from a hot engine.
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I keep thinking copper antisieze isn't supposed to be used on aluminum.
Read some of the threads about not pulling away from the head, don't pull the injector forward or you can break the thin aluminum out from the front of the head.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

yes try to arrange your ratchet or breaker bar so that you are pushing the handle towards the head to break it loose. In a perfect world a T handle would keep from exerting sideways pressure on the threaded hole and cracking the aluminum but I have found that just carefully pushing towards the head while holding the extention steady is a pretty safe way to go.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe