head gasket

Moderator: Fatmobile

rustywesty
Glow Plug

head gasket

Post by rustywesty »

a cooling hose fitting gave up and my 82 1.6d van overheated last week. It even spit out all its oil through the filler tube and the vac hose to the brake booster was blown off.

Now there seems to be way too much pressure in the cooling system. I know i will at least need a head gasket but am not sure which one to order. can i determine the number of 'notches' before i take the head off?

also can this be done w/o removing the engine from the van?
rustywesty
Glow Plug

answerd one of my own questions.....

Post by rustywesty »

PO left me a note in the bentley that the piston height is 76.20 and that it needed the one notch gasket. the head i have only has 5000 miles on it so I am hoping it is still straight w/ no cracks.

i was reading here somewhere that you can leave the exhaust manifold connected when pulling the head... does that apply to the van installation or only rabbits and caddys?
coke

Post by coke »

There is a tab that sticks out on the head gasket with notches/holes (Depending on motor)

If the PO left a note saying it took a 1 notch, you can probably safely put that back in. I'm assuming he did extensive motor work and had to remeasure protrusion above TDC, hence the note.

On Jettas, I can say for certain you can leave the manifolds attached. On your beast, you should be able to as well. I just drop the downpipe from the manifold and lift it off.
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

It even spit out all its oil through the filler tube and the vac hose to the brake booster was blown off.
I would not order any parts until you pulled the head. From the above description, if oil was blowing out the filler tube, there was some serious blow by. It is likely the rings have lost their tension from being overheated or worse a piston has started to smear. You may be looking at more than a head gasket. I would bet the head has also warped. When looking at a warped head, it is not just the head gasket surface you need to be concerned with. When an aluminum head overheats, it bends. You may find that the cam is binding in the journals. Heads can be straightened or line bored. Bummer about the overheat.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Re: head gasket

Post by WAgrower »

in regards to pulling the exhaust manifold or not; I found it much easier to install the head with it removed. I'ts easy to pull the head with it on but sliding it in at an angle I found it nice to have the room, however it is a huge pain to get the top front bolt on...
82 Westy with an 85 1.6TD
300Dman
Glow Plug

Re: head gasket

Post by 300Dman »

I agree with rsxsr.

It is even possible for the top of the Block to be warped. If the top of the Block needs to be resurfaced that changes the Piston Protrusion.