injection pump shaft bushings

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

300Dman
Glow Plug

Re: injection pump shaft bushings

Post by 300Dman »

Fatmobile thanks for source of the Info.

Sqnimg96 I am going to try for .002" Clerance.

And, I think I can do that because I am going to make a guide for the Reamer.

I think I will be able to do that because I have a Metal Cutting Lathe although I have no training except 2 semesters of High School Machine Shop but that was back in 1968.
300Dman
Glow Plug

Re:

Post by 300Dman »

Fatmobile wrote:I wanted a way to keep the reamer straight.
The plan was to drill out the center hole on a head.
First problem was the metal was too hard to drill,... so I threw it in the woodburner and let it get cherry red and cool down slowly overnight.
That anealed the metal and made it soft enough to drill. Unfortunately I couldn't drill it straight enough with the drill press/vice setup I have.
Should have taken it to the machine shop to begin with but i did learn a little about the head that made machining it easier.
The center can be pressed out:
That made it easy for them to chuck it in the lathe and bore it out to 9/16.
The special tool I made for removing the end plug is/was a 15/16" six point deep socket.
The reamers came with a guide bushing. I centered the guide bushing for the smaller reamer in the shaft bushing spot so it could guide the smaller 9/16" reamer as I reamed the bored hole out a little bigger to fit the guide for the 17mm reamer I'm going to use for the mainshaft bushings.
Well here's a pic of it when done:
This will make reaming the mainshaft bushing a breeze by guiding the end and keeping it straight in the bore.
I might be too worried about reaming the bushings straight but this seemed like a good idea.
I just need some loctite 640 sleeve retainer,... I might have to check to see if that's the right number but it sounds right.
It has to be better then not having support. Without support Reamers cut holes bigger and not round. I am not sure that applies so much if the Bearings/Bushings when pressed in are round. If the Bushings are round inside when pressed in then an adjustable Reamer that slides inside should center well if expaned and tiny cuts are made.
Where the front support is going to help is with is when the Reamer is twisted and the torque trys to move it off center.

Some info I found while looke for why My Reamer was not reaming a 17mm Hole.
General discussion on Reamers.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge ... rs-270625/

How to chose a reamer. One of the belows has a thing that you can plug the Reamer sort of spec. The one I bought is an 17H8 as it turnes out the Tolerance is different on a 17H7.
http://www.magafor.com/article.php?grp= ... &langue=uk

This is the one that was the most understandable.
http://www.magafor.com/811.php?grp=811