leaky injector

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

leaky injector

Post by Intharbuddy »

every time I knock down a problem another one pops right up. oh well I knew trying to bring this thing back was gonna be a learning experience. The 1st injector tucked behind the pump is leaking at the base where it meets the head. Is there anything I should know before just going to tighten it. I already read about being careful not to pull away from head too hard to keep it from cracking.
Thanks.
messed up 81 rabbit pickup...but its purple.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Re: leaky injector

Post by CarlosA »

I had one of these ... ended up finding that the injector seat below the heat shield had deteriorated away. You might want to grab a new heat shield and pull the injector, see how it looks.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Unless the injector is relatively loose, further tightening often leads to more problems.
Better to remove injector and check/reset, or replace heatshield.
Before doing any of that though, be doubly sure it is not diesel weeping almost invisibly from the rubber hoses.
Newly installed injectors can take a couple of days to settle down.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

Bringing back this post:
I have a leaky injector. Right at where the two halves meet. Would this be a leaky injector nozzle if it leaks from where the two halves are screwed together? I pulled it out and noticed a pretty good amount of fuel pooled up on the heat shield. There's no "o" rings on these injectors, so where else would it leak from?
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

If you really don't want to- http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=28 .
I suppose it depends on how bad its leaking, but I've put superglue in/on where the injector halves meet to stop or slow down leaking there. Clean it with brake cleaner first.
The superglue may make the injector harder to take apart for servicing, but not impossible.
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I would pull the injector out and install a new heat shield and nozzle assembly. I've found that when I have an injector half leaking, I've been able to solve that leak by tightening the two halves, just a bit. Be sure that the leak isn't coming from the hard fuel line connection or the rubber hose too.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Tac
Turbo Charger

Post by Tac »

I have heard but never seen problems with the way you take the injector out or put it in. On the way out push the ratchet or bar toward the valve cover. On installation tighten the injector with the ratchet toward the valve cover. There are stories of breaking the casting of the head at the bottom of the injector. It made sense to me so that's the way I've always took them out or put them in. It may be some one didn't have the socket on the injector straight.

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you're not careful on where you apply torque to remove the injector the injector boss could crack, or even come off. See the second pic down in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11324&start=15

I have too many to count
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

This injector is leaking where the two halves meet. There was also a pool of fuel on the heat shield. Would a new nozzle solve this problem 82vdub? i don't see where else it would possibly leak from.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

if it's leaking at the injector half, depending on how much fuel was leaking and how long it sat, etc, you could have gotten fuel on the heat shield from removing the injector. But, to be safe, I'd put a new nozzle set in the injector and reinstall. If the injector half still leaks, then tighten the injector halves a bit more. If it still leaks, then you'll need to micro-polish the two halves to get them to seat better and this should get them to seal. The new nozzle assembly is just in case it's seat is worn away or it's spraying funky. This is the solution to this, if it's not leaking at the hard line or the rubber lines. Those last two items can leak, and leak a lot, depending on factors.

I have too many to count
bc
Turbo Charger

Post by bc »

thanks 82vdub. It's def. not leaking at either the hard line union or the soft return line. I'll put a new nozzle in it and see what that does.
'83 diesel vanagon
'85 diesel Jetta
'86 diesel Golf
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

If I were going to take the injector apart, assuming it still sprays good, I'd just clean up the parts and polish the sealing surfaces (flat of the top half injector and the spacer), just enough to make the grooves dissappear, finishing off with 2000 grit. I'd try sanding first before buying a new nozzle; maybe save that for doing all four at the same time.
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

sgnimj96 wrote:If I were going to take the injector apart, assuming it still sprays good, I'd just clean up the parts and polish the sealing surfaces (flat of the top half injector and the spacer), just enough to make the grooves dissappear, finishing off with 2000 grit. I'd try sanding first before buying a new nozzle; maybe save that for doing all four at the same time.
Yep, me too.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Although I've said this before, it's clearly worth repeating:
To avoid leverage on the injector bosses, simply attach a u/j to the extension bar. Use 2 extension bars.
Wrt the injector leak.

1) Never try and stop the body halve leak in situ.

2) With the injector out, minor leaks may be reduced, or stopped by repeated slackening and tightening of the 2 halves.Do this after dismantling and inspecting of the faces for defects. If that doesn't work then fine grit paper. If leak didn't use to be there and it has developed since previous injector checks, be sure that it was not created by collapsing of the nozzle or body by over tightening.
3)If there appears to be a sealing issue between injector and head, consider reforming that heatshield for that cylinder to give a better than new fit! Look up my research on that if you wish.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)