Big turbo setup on 1.9td

Upgrades to the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.9 engines that make them go farther or faster
Flynn
Cetane Booster

Big turbo setup on 1.9td

Post by Flynn »

Yo guys, I have a Bosch pumped 1.9td. It is not a VW but the engine is basically the same. Why am I posting here do you ask? Well due to the expertise and forum traffic here compared to my car's specific forum (pug306.net). I know you VW guys are into diesel tuning as well :wink:

This is what the motor looks like:

It is the only pic I had, in that pic the intercooler has been removed.

First a bit of background. The motor is a turbo as standard. It makes 90bhp with a KKK K14 turbocharger or a Garrett T2 turbocharger. One of the guys from the forum identified that the Garrett GT2052S turbocharger is a perfect match for the engine and as a result quite a few people have fitted them and made big horsepower (140-190). I have fitted one and I am struggling to get it to boost above 5.5-6 psi, despite throwing a lot of fuel at it. Things I have tried:

No air intake
Welded wastegate (current setup)
searched for boost leaks
Clamped everything down tightly
Turned the fuel right up (would be making around 20psi on the standard turbo)
Rebuilt the turbo (slight improvement was only making around 4psi before)
Ran it without an exhaust to rule out an exhaust restriction
Built a custom downpipe with a 3" elbow reducing to 2.5" for best flow

The turbo I am using is the exact same one as the guy in this thread (I found from searching Google) who says it makes a maximum of 13psi:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sarge-g ... ll.693363/

But I don't know what engine that is, but properly a lot bigger than a 1.9, although it is a diesel.

This is NOT the turbo the other guys on my forum have used, their turbos came off diesel motors to begin with. However at the time I didn't know there was a difference between the petrol (gasoline) version and the diesel version. Indeed, the turbo has "GT2052S" stamped on the plate, so you can see where I was coming from by thinking it was the correct unit. I think this type of turbo might be a low pressure turbo, but does anyone know what actually defines a low pressure turbo? Surely if you just throw a load of fuel at it, then it will still make boost all the same?

If you have got this far thanks for reading, it is a long shot but just trying to get some knowledge of the situation.
Flynn
Cetane Booster

Re: Big turbo setup on 1.9td

Post by Flynn »

Turns out I didn't block the recirculation valve off properly.