90 mm transmission axel flange swap to 100mm flange

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

90 mm transmission axel flange swap to 100mm flange

Post by Diesel Dean »

I have a great working ff five speed trans with 90 mm flanges on the trans. I want to swap in 100mm flanges. Anyone on here done that before. I think it will work just looking to confirm it will work.
Thanks
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: 90 mm transmission axel flange swap to 100mm flange

Post by surfcam »

It's fairly easy to change out the flanges on the trans-axle. But you have to make sure the other end will fit into the wheel without hitting the housing. There are two sizes of wheel bearing housings. If you have the smaller ones it may rub on the CV's. Some people have ground enough off to get clearance. I've never done this so don't know now it works out. The pin that goes to the ball joint, housing, and bearing is bigger on the 100mm wheel housings. The splines the same so that part will fit.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Re: 90 mm transmission axel flange swap to 100mm flange

Post by Diesel Dean »

I was going to swap the 100mm flanges from a 1997 Jetta to my old style ff trans. After some research I found out the 100mm flange will hit the case so it needs to be ground down to make them fit. There is a good chance of going thru the trans case so I decided not to do it. I was going to use the ff trans in the 97 Jetta but now I am going to stick with stock trans in the Jetta.
Thanks
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together