81 Rabbit Blower Motor Removal

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 81 Rabbit Blower Motor Removal

Post by bscutt »

ok that sounds better. So as an HVAC guy you will appreciate this. My house is 48 years old and has the original furnace. I replaced the outside compressor/condenser unit in 1993. I replaced the original blower motor about 7 or 8 years ago. The previous blower I was told could not be lubed and until it started squealing I believed the service guy. Took it out, pulled the rubber plugs on the bearing oilers that "were not there" and lubed it and got 5 more years out of it.
My neighbors put in new units 20+ years ago and all have replaced them again, most only lasting 10-15 years. So I am one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guys and if it's broke, see if you can fix it before replacing. Guess that's partly why I drive a 32 year old Rabbit.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

bscutt wrote:ok that sounds better. So as an HVAC guy you will appreciate this. My house is 48 years old and has the original furnace. I replaced the outside compressor/condenser unit in 1993. I replaced the original blower motor about 7 or 8 years ago. The previous blower I was told could not be lubed and until it started squealing I believed the service guy. Took it out, pulled the rubber plugs on the bearing oilers that "were not there" and lubed it and got 5 more years out of it.
My neighbors put in new units 20+ years ago and all have replaced them again, most only lasting 10-15 years. So I am one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guys and if it's broke, see if you can fix it before replacing. Guess that's partly why I drive a 32 year old Rabbit.
You're fortunate, most of the big guys in the HVAC business around here usually send a guy out and tells him if the unit is more than 5 years old to sell them a brand new system. It doesn't matter what's wrong with it mind you. Could be a 20 dollar capacitor gone bad. But they're going to try and sell you a new one regardless. When I got that blower motor out and looked at it. That was the first thing I noticed was the holes for oiling it. Two on the sides and 2 on the end. They didn't have the little plugs in them like you usually see on the older motors. But they were definitely there for a reason. I wish I would've checked amp draw before I oiled it. I only did it afterwards and it was only pulling around .34 amps. So it was less than half an amp draw. I'll just keep running it. Now the wife wants me to buy her a 2006 Volvo S40. The more I look at that thing, the more it scares me because I know I won't be able to afford to pay someone else to work on it.
Last edited by uzzo2 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I like the Volvo's, my neighbor ran over 300K on his before donating it (early 90s 940). However if you have a transmission problem the newer ones run into several thousand to replace. He still has some newer ones and swears by them, all bought used. But I agree, would not want to do much work on them. Drive trains are pretty robust these days, it's the other stuff that bothers me.

As for the HVAC guys I don't let them in. A friend is good at HVAC and my system is so simple that unless it all rusts out there's not much to go wrong. I may pay a little more for fuel and electricity but nothing like the 10K they charge for replacement units that I can't fix. However any machine reaches the point at which it either cannot be repaired or it's just not economical. Hoping that day does not come any time soon.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

bscutt wrote:Hoping that day does not come any time soon.
If it does just let me know. Mt. Vernon and Monticello are on my bucket list.
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

deal. Mt Vernon is maybe 10 miles from here by road. Monticello is about 2 hrs away.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

A little late perhaps, but that blower is the same as the ones in the Quantum a/c or not. Casing wise at least :mrgreen:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

uzzo2 wrote:
bscutt wrote:$150 seems pretty high. I think I have my old one down in my parts shelf somewhere and it turned out the noise it was making was not the motor bearings but the wheel hitting the plastic housing (mounts had come loose if I recall)
I also parted out an 81 rabbit diesel that was just a mess (left to die in the woods) and don't remember if I grabbed the blower out of that one or not. If I have a good spare to sell I'll let you know. If the lube worked it may work for a long time but I'm not sure how long PB blaster will work as a lube. I like thin motor oil (using a syringe) for motor bearing lube or something that will hang around for a while.
I just used PB blaster to loosen it up. I then took a zoom oiler that I use for oiling motors in the line of my HVAC work. It's just mineral oil in a little bottle with a long thin flexible telescopic plastic tube. I don't know why I keep it since all condenser and blower motors are all sealed now. So I put a generous helping of that along with the blower motor. I'll just run it a while and see how it does.
That zoom spout is the stuff they recommend for oiling the fan motor.
Some day I'll find some a place that make/sell replacement bushings.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Fatmobile wrote:
uzzo2 wrote:
bscutt wrote:$150 seems pretty high. I think I have my old one down in my parts shelf somewhere and it turned out the noise it was making was not the motor bearings but the wheel hitting the plastic housing (mounts had come loose if I recall)
I also parted out an 81 rabbit diesel that was just a mess (left to die in the woods) and don't remember if I grabbed the blower out of that one or not. If I have a good spare to sell I'll let you know. If the lube worked it may work for a long time but I'm not sure how long PB blaster will work as a lube. I like thin motor oil (using a syringe) for motor bearing lube or something that will hang around for a while.
I just used PB blaster to loosen it up. I then took a zoom oiler that I use for oiling motors in the line of my HVAC work. It's just mineral oil in a little bottle with a long thin flexible telescopic plastic tube. I don't know why I keep it since all condenser and blower motors are all sealed now. So I put a generous helping of that along with the blower motor. I'll just run it a while and see how it does.
That zoom spout is the stuff they recommend for oiling the fan motor.
Some day I'll find some a place that make/sell replacement bushings.
It's just highly refined mineral oil. Any non gumming oil should do about the same thing.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788