Scan Tool

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

surfcam
Turbo Charger

Scan Tool

Post by surfcam »

Has anyone tried or heard anything on the new scan programs and cable the are coming out of China.

vag-com super 8051,VAG-1551 vAG-1552 scan tool

I've heard both good and bad.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
JRM
Turbo Charger

Re: Scan Tool

Post by JRM »

I use the free android app torque and a cheap Bluetooth OBDII scanner $20 off ebay. I can scan all codes, and see live data in real time, even my DPF temperature that loves to keep my turbo around 1,200F :shock:
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Well I finally got a scan tool off of E-bay for cheap, and got the free Torque program for Android. Boy is it easy to install and use. I've been driving around with an engine light on for awhile. Now I know what it is. I got a P114 and P0380 fault codes. The second one appears to be a bad glow plug. At least that's what is got out of the description when I touch on the code then got internet assistants. The P114 looks like it might be a little harder. It states: Mass or flow circ open/short to ground. I was thinking of checking for the short and if do find something can I then clear the code. I was wondering if it would come back if I never found the problem which would be good for me. I'm just kind of winging right now and probably have to read-up on it if nobody responds.
94 Grand Caravan
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Generally if you clear the code without correcting the problem it will throw the code again. I have the Ross tech vag com setup and an old laptop that I use on mine which also allows programming things like turning off bells and buzzers, window opening with the key fob and so on. Anyway I have used it to clear codes on my son's car and it clears until the system resets itself and rediscovers the problem, then the code is back and the check engine light turns back on.

Best if you search some forums and see if anyone else has encountered these codes. Maybe TDIclub or vwvortex.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Thank you for the response. It does get lonely on this TDI Only Forum but things are picking up lately glad you joined me. I only read over on those other forums because it seem every time I post something they tell me to buy OME parts and the Ross Tech Vagcom system you cheap #$%"^&. Maybe there's no choice but to buy the system. I know from the reading that I can't time it dynamically without it. As far as I know anyway. I just own a MK3 TDI which I don't think is as computerized and a lot simpler.
94 Grand Caravan
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Yeah I fortunately have not had to do anything on my 06 TDI, I only have 78K on it in 8 years since I drive the Rabbit to work. When the time comes I will probably have the dealer or a professional do the timing belt and water pump, assuming I still have a job to pay for it with. Too many physical issues to kill myself on that car, saving myself for Rabbit repairs. The Ross Tech is a bit pricey and I paid even more so I could support the older cars too (we are a VW family). but it has been very handy. Maybe you can find someone to loan/rent you one that is nearer to you than I am. Plus mine gets snatched up by my sons and friends. Maybe the cheap chinese one will work. Good luck with it.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I bought the Advanced ELM327 v1.5 Bluetooth interface OBD2 scanner for a whopping 11.59. The cheaper one didn't have four lights like this one. If you have an Android phone you download the free Torque program or get the Pro version for $5. If you have an Apple it's $18. It found the fault codes right away and going by the menu it looks like I can clear them. Doing this and timing the car is really what I was looking for. I guess this system can't disable the EGR system so the timing can be done. I think I'm going to change the belt then borrow Vag Com or get a shop to just adjust the pump. I also bought a cable for $8.89. Both these items came with disc's but I have looked at them yet. We are going on a little trip tomorrow and I'm hoping the wife will play with the Torque program. There's some grafts, gauges, tack, hp, mileage, etc. She will probable end up play Angry Bird or counting sew pattern pieces.
94 Grand Caravan
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

sounds nice. My phone is an antique so no android. This sounds like what my son has for his android phone.

As for angry birds, yeah why not. I play that on my roku from time to time. Great mindless entertainment.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Keithuk
Glow Plug

Post by Keithuk »

surfcam wrote:Now I know what it is. I got a P114 and P0380 fault codes. The second one appears to be a bad glow plug. At least that's what is got out of the description when I touch on the code then got internet assistants. The P114 looks like it might be a little harder. It states: Mass or flow circ open/short to ground. I was thinking of checking for the short and if do find something can I then clear the code.
There is a number missing of P114.

EOBD II Error Code: P1140 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) 2 (G131), Bank 2 - Internal Resistance too High
EOBD II Error Code: P1141 Load Calculation Cross Check - Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Value
EOBD II Error Code: P1142 Load Calculation Cross Check - Lower Limit Exceeded
EOBD II Error Code: P1143 Load Calculation Cross Check - Upper Limit Exceeded
EOBD II Error Code: P1144 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70), Bank 1 - Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Earth
EOBD II Error Code: P1145 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70), Bank 1 - Short Circuit to Positive
EOBD II Error Code: P1146 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70), Bank 1 - Supply Voltage
EOBD II Error Code: P1147 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) 1 (G108), Bank 2 - Lambda Regulation, System too Lean
EOBD II Error Code: P1148 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) 1 (G108), Bank 2 - Lambda Regulation, System too Rich
EOBD II Error Code: P1149 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) 1 (G39), Bank 1 - Implausible Lambda Control Value

VAG Error Code: 16764
EOBD II Error Code: P0380

Fault Location:
Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
No Pre-Glow Period.
Poor Cold Starting.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Glow plug relay (J52).
Glow plugs.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check Glow Plug Wiring.
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check Glow Plug(s).

Special Notes:
See TDIClub Glow Plug 101

When is the code detected?:
The glow plugs are commanded OFF and the glow plug feedback is more than 2 volts. or
The glow plugs are commanded on and the glow plug feedback is not between 5 volts and 6.2 volts.

Description:
The glow plug system is used to assist in providing the heat required to begin combustion during cold engine temperatures. The glow plugs are heated before and during cranking, as well as initial engine operation. The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the glow plug ON times by monitoring coolant temperature and glow plug voltage. The California Glow Plug system has eight individual glow plug supply circuits between the controller and the glow plugs. If the feedback voltage from the controller to the Engine Control Module (ECM) is not within range this error code will be set.

As taken from my EOBD II Fault Codes software which I may post on here.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.