How mutch does your car smoke?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Tac
Turbo Charger

Re: How mutch does your car smoke?

Post by Tac »

Since the sun is in a much different spot during my trip to work and my way home I'm able to see more smoke than I thought. Last night I did adjust the so called smoke screw. I did a 1/4 turn counter clockwise (facing the pump) it seem to help. I didn't feel any loss of acceleration (not like the thing is a rocket) and I didn't have to adjust the idle. Anyone know if I'm decreasing the fuel intake or adding air to the fuel mixture?

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

left and out decreases fuel. maybe you aren't noticing performance decrease since you are non turbo along with your driving route/style.

i won't drive non turbos anymore since they are a safety hazard on our freeways.

1/4 turn out in my experience on my cars was no good. i was driving a route where there was a big windy up/down hill for almost 20 miles and i noticed issues with second gear pulling and i was so used to driving these cars it was just negative across the board.

i am pedal to the medal with my 79 rabbit right now, long stretches of highway at 85-90mph. i pretty much get 43mpg all day long.

i don't care about any smoke unless it was thick enough to obstruct views which it never has been. i suppose i could get pulled over by the chp but i'm not aware of any laws or smog that they could pin on me.
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
Tac
Turbo Charger

Post by Tac »

Thanks for the reply damac. Yes it is close to all highway going throw semi high populated area. I do about 57-75 try to keep it at 57-60. It's nice to know what I'm effecting. I like I said before this is no rocket.

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.