Engine ID

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

paradiceau
Glow Plug

Engine ID

Post by paradiceau »

Trying to id an engine transplanted to a Samurai... It is turbocharged, it has no electronics connections, the stamp on the side of the block below the number four glow plug is 0946, on the exhaust side on the block the letters cast into block are 1 9 td (if I remember correctly). The valve cover has three bolts down the centerline to secure, (no perimeter bolts). The guy I got it from said it is a 1.9 TDI, according to several other people it is not a TDI, (no electronic, computer). One fellow said he thought it is an AAZ engine. I need to replace the IP head seal, and the timing belt so I best figure out what exactly I have. I have been searching hi and lo on the net and am still confused. I am sure someone out there with lots of experience with these critters can shed light on the mystery. I am trying to attach some pics of the engine but not sure how. Thanks in advance for any help you may have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Engine ID

Post by Quantum-man »

Hi
The number is not long enough. Look again Should be prefixed with letters
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Cityscape
Glow Plug

Post by Cityscape »

My best guess is it would be an engine from a Mk3 VW, a 1.9 TD which did exist even though most Mk3's that I know of use a TDI engine.

I'm no expert though, so hopefully someone who knows more will post here. :)
Gromit
Cetane Booster

Post by Gromit »

Looks like an AAZ to me.
The timing belt should be the same one an AHU TDI uses; many engine parts are the same.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think the starters are different from the 1.6. They have no nose bearing. If your AZZ takes a 02A tranny it will take one of these starters. I put a MK4 TDI starter on my MK3 tdi. The vacuum pump looks the same. The serpentine belt will make the water pump, alternator not
compatible with the 1.6 at least pulley wise. This set-up should work good in mud and the water.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/