Deleting A/C on a 91' diesel jetta 1.6L

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

doctorWHOey
Glow Plug

Deleting A/C on a 91' diesel jetta 1.6L

Post by doctorWHOey »

Just found out the other day that one of my mounting bolts that attaches my A/C has broken off flush with the engine apparently, and has led to excessive belt slipping and a non-charging battery. Was wondering the pros and cons to deleting the A/C completely, and would this help with the alternator belt curse?
I appreciate any and all input on this and any related and/or better fixes/modifications......thanx again....
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Re: Deleting A/C on a 91' diesel jetta 1.6L

Post by Quantum TD »

With the correct alternator, you can use the same bracket and swing the alternator down. Then, with an alternator tensioner bracket from an 8V MK2 Jetta or Golf (1985-1992), you can tension the alternator. Or, I think the OEM non-ac bracket may still be available from the dealer.

You would need to swap out the alternator.

Or, I think Fatmobile has a thread on here about converting your existing AC alternator to work.

Lastly, If your cast-iron bracket is the problem, I have a good MK2 bracket for sale.
coke

Post by coke »

Yeah you can use the same bracket. Just remove the AC part. You will need the appropriate pulley offset as well, but if you can find a non-a/c diesel it should have the pulley on it. Fatmobile preserved his 90a alternator I do believe, and just swapped pulleys and fab'd a tensioning bracket.

Yes, it will solve most of the belt issues. I did it on my 90, and thankfully my 91 came w/out AC :)
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

also a vote for ditching the AC.. reduced vibration, better engine access, far better cooling with the condensor removed, and only 1 belt! i also pulled my power steering off and have a wonderfully naked engine.

i used a non-ac bracket, alt adjuster arm, alt, and alt electrical connector from an MK1... had to shim the alt pulley out a bit to get the belt to line up perfectly. MK2 stuff might line up better.

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
doctorWHOey
Glow Plug

Post by doctorWHOey »

So to successfully delete A/C I would require a pulley from a diesel without A/C, and a bracket needs to be fabricated?? Is there a photo and dimensions of this bracket, my VW guy is prob gonna need it when he deletes the A/C on Monday. Does the length of belt required change, any other issues that we might run into here.....Thanx for any and all input.
coke

Post by coke »

You can use the gasser tensioner bracket. I got one from the stealership for 13 bucks new. Yes, you'll need the Non-AC pulley, and possibly more fabrication work if you plan on using the 90 amp AC alternator. I can only speak from experience with mine, but mine takes a 10x980.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Do a search, using my username and you'll find many pics of a non-AC conversion,
bump the post with any questions.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

bumping this post!

Both the AC compressor bolts broke off inside their cast iron bracket. The front adjustment bolts are still holding tight, but the compressor is still flopping around and not in its proper place. Since my AC system has never worked, I'm ready to ditch it, and I'd love to rehash the ole AC delete topic.

Here's one of fatmobile's threads on deleting AC, with photos...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7018&hilit=

Seems like it really is as simple is ditching the compressor, finding an extended alternator pulley from a shop/junkyard/parts store, and then tracking down a bracket off a gasser... yess??? Hoping to get on this soon! Appreciate any tips/advice.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Right.
It's about that easy.
A bracket from a gasser and an adjuster bracket for it to slide against for adjustment.
I grind a little off the cast bracket and alternator (where they clash) because I like it to swing as close to the block as possible.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Just wanted to clarify... in the pictures from your post on the other topic - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7018&hilit= - you show two slotted brackets, a curved slotted piece with adjustment gear teeth and a straight slotted piece.

I know the geared adjustment bracket is from the mk2 golf. Is the other part of the stock diesel setup? Or did that too come from the gasser?

And anyone know what the alternator shaft size is? Trying to source a spot for alternator pulleys near philly.
- Mike Harpring

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That straight one might be a homemade bracket.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Is this the kind of pulley I'm looking for? Not sure if the bore size is the same as my bosch alternator... the groove width would work with the crank pulley belt. The offset might be a few mm off though.

I've had a hard time sourcing this part. Any tips or info on where to find this would be appreciated. Cool thanks!

- Mike Harpring

Prairieview
Cetane Booster

Post by Prairieview »

There is this little-known entity called: Ebay
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Prairieview what is the website address you speak of?

Moving on... some more sleuthing and I think I found the part I was looking for. Just took a lot of persistence and creative search queries to source it. Only possible issue is that both the inner and outer v-belt grooves are 13mm, as opposed to the 13 and 10 (on the a/c pulley). I doubt this offset will cause an issue, as my a/c pulley is currently pretty skewed but has yet to jump a belt.

ordering this now: http://store.alternatorparts.com/part-2 ... ators.aspx
- Mike Harpring

the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Fatmobile - do you know what length V-belt you've been using on your setup?
- Mike Harpring