Donor car - what to keep - what to sell - leftover?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

mammonista
Glow Plug

Donor car - what to keep - what to sell - leftover?

Post by mammonista »

Recently bought a '96 Passat TDI for the purpose of transplanting the engine and the 5-speed into an early model Jetta td. The transplanted engine will be fueled by a land rover 300tdi mechanical pump so I have no need for the ECU.
Once I pull the motor and trans and inter-cooler I want this thing out of my driveway ASAP. Here are my questions: What else should I try to salvage for sale on EBAY? And what, if anything, is the chassis worth when I tow it to a wrecking yard?
Any help will be appreciated.
thanks in advance!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Donor car - what to keep - what to sell - leftover?

Post by bscutt »

when I scrapped my 93 Passat (TD swap car) I pulled all the electrical stuff like relays and so forth. Beyond that unless you want to get the instrument cluster, side mirrors if decent working power mirrors, glass sunroof/moonroof (makes for a nice swap for Corrado's to swap from solid metal to glass which we did for my son's G60), maybe seats if decent, power, with seat heaters, stuff like that. Many B3 Passat parts will fit Corrados. I think we even used the speedometer cable from the passat on the corrado. As for what will sell and how long that will take that's dependent on demand and location. I also salvaged the radiator and condenser which I was able to sell along with the electric radiator fans.

All that said I still have a couple of bins of parts I pulled that I have not sold but haven't tried very hard lately.

Hope this is helpful
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe