oil pressure question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Re: oil pressure question

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

in a gas engine, you have vacuum @intake, and at a loss of power. diesels have pos pressure, so they have to make vac outside, obviously at a loss. its@intake, &due to valve overlap, so the engine breathes.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you look at any old GM diesel pickup or the old 80's-90's Olds diesels, it's typically got a hydraulically assisted brake booster. It's easy to tell as there isn't the large diaphragm behind the master cylinder, and there's hard piped hoses going to it. All diesels will need an engine driven, hydrauically driven, or electrical vacuum pump on them.

Oil PSI's rise with engine RPM - that is unless you are sucking air or a foamy oil mix into the oil pump.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

in some motors i had heard of part of the theory to oil pressure, as rpms go up pressure goes up, when you let off the revs the oil pressure drops, sometimes to less than idle, which isnt a problem as long as it doesnt go too low.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The vacuum pump on these also drives the oil pump.
You have oil pressure so you probably have a vacuum pump. Exception would be the early non-power brake VW diesels.
Because there wasn't a hose from the vacuum pump to that port on the front of the block, you probably have the vane-style pump, the right one in the picture Tyler provided.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.