moaning while turning

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

moaning while turning

Post by wmasscaddy »

A new sound started today. When I turn to the left and start (or keep) moving I hear a moaning sound from the front end. It gets louder with more speed or more angle. Doesn't happen when turning right. I don't have power steering. I can't see anything that looks wrong, but I can't look while it's moving. Does anybody know what this is?
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
350,000 + miles lost to broken odo
11mm block, 12mm head
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: moaning while turning

Post by TylerDurden »

I'd start with checking the motor mounts and suspension bushings.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

My guess is a wheel bearing and believe that it's the right (unloaded) side bearing.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Mine will occasionally do that but it's the spring on the driver's side in the strut housing. If I spray that area with lube it goes away for a year or two. Not very evident while driving, it's usually while parking and more with a full turn. So mine may be a totally different symptom. It's very loud and very noticeable to passers by.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'd suspect a wheel bearing too.
Lift the wheel and grab it, see if it has any play.
If so find where it is.
Should be no play in the bearing.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

This is hard to check. At leased for me. If you swing the calibre up you can check for sure.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

My guess is left side wheel bearing. Jack the left wheel off the ground slightly (so it isn't touching). Grab the tire at the top, and bottom, and push the top in and pull the bottom out. (I think I described that correctly). If theres any movement top-to-bottom, its most likely a wheel bearing. Those suckers are pressed in the hub too, so at the very least you will need to remove the knuckle. Its important to find someone competent to press the new one in. My local mechanic half assed mine and they both failed in less than 10k miles. I took it to the foreign auto mechanic 2 miles up the road and they never failed again.

My understanding was when you turn right, you remove a fair portion of the load off the left wheel bearing, since weight is bearing down on the right. Therefore, when noise goes away during right turn, its left bearing, and vice versa. This science has never failed me yet, but I usually replace wheel bearings in pairs anyways. Its a good practice. If ones going, the other one is on its way out as well.

Use quality bearings. FAG makes a very good bearing, and I use them. Any of the german oem stuff.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Because of my location. I have not found anyone that can press a bearing in successfully. This method is not for everyone. After removing the housing and hammering the inner race and balls out I dremel the outer race right though. A little nick hear and there won't affected the bearing housing ability to hold the bearing. Just check to make sure there are no burs. Put the new bearing in the freezer and the bearing housing in a vise. If the bearing doesn't drop right in you can use the old split outer race to tap the new bear in. This doesn't hurt the new bearing when you just tap the outer race. If you hit the inner race the new bearings shot.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/