Need help pulling out! 1982 rabbit caddy speedo removal?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Timmysdiesel
Glow Plug

Need help pulling out! 1982 rabbit caddy speedo removal?

Post by Timmysdiesel »

Hello all, I need to remove the speedo from my 1982 rabbit caddy pickup. I have removed the dash cover by taking off the light knob and cold start knob and the dash is very exposed. I cannot figure out how to get the speedo through the opening in the dash. The opening in the dash seems too small no matter how much I jiggle the speedo and also the speedo has a big ridge on the top that gets in the way of pulling it out. Help?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Need help pulling out! 1982 rabbit caddy speedo removal?

Post by bscutt »

Not sure why you can't get it out but you do need to disconnect the speedo cable first. I can get to mine less some skin by going up from under the dash. have not found a better way. Haven't pulled mine out in a while though. I assume you pulled the dash bezel/facade off (wood grain) already.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

X2 on the speedo cable. I've found that I can pull my speedo cluster about 1" before the speedo cable limits it's movement. I think I reach in and blindly release the cable from the head.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Post by wmasscaddy »

We're talking about the whole dash cluster, right? Speedo and clock/tach and lights? There is a bulky plug back there that powers everything in the dash, I think it just pulls straight out towards the firewall. And unscrew the outer ring on the speedo cable clockwise (lefty loosey from behind). And the 4 small screws, 1 at each corner of the cluster. And you have to tip the cluster forward or backward to get it out of the opening. If you put your head on the floor and look up you can see most of what's going on up there. I put some milk crates outside the door so I don't break my spine. Or take the seat out.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
350,000 + miles lost to broken odo
11mm block, 12mm head
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Some speedos use a pinch-to-release clip rather than a threaded collar to hold the cable & housing in place at the back of the cluster.
J.R.
SoCal
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The rabbit should have a screw-on speedo cable.
Sometimes the steering wheel needs to be turned
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Westmoreland, PA, USA Rabbits were assembled with whatever parts were sent & available, and some sources have mentioned that those parts varied from time to time. Sorry, can't remember if our own '77 (German) & '80 (Westmoreland) Rabbits had the same speedo connectors in back of the cluster, however, the '79 Dashers used a threaded collar, while the '80 & '81 Dashers have the plastic pinch clip-style of connectors. Those Dashers AFAIK were made in Emden, Germany.
J.R.
SoCal