door handle broke

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

door handle broke

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

well of all the little things to break, the door handle with the only key entry; other than the trunk. i couldnt see how to get handle apart, the lock may come apart meaning i can buy a handle and swap in old lock/key. mk2. anyone have a handle?
colby
Site Administrator

Re: door handle broke

Post by colby »

You can buy a replacement handle online. Get one with a key cylinder. When it comes, there is a screw holding the mechanism that actually locks and unlocks on. You take that screw out, insert the key the new handle comes with and then pull the cylinder out of the handle. Do the same with your old lock cylinder, insert in new handle, reapply mechanism and screw, and you're done.
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

thanks for the info colby. there is a screw in there, i took it out, i ll have to do that again and put key in cyl. hopefully cyl will pop out. and i can put in another handle.
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

The cylinder doesn't slide out until you put the key in and try to pop it out. The tumblers in the cylinder will hold it in even without the screw in, so if you take the screw and the actuator lever thingy on the end of it off, and put your key in, it should pop right out. You may need to turn it a little and pull back on the key.
Tac
Turbo Charger

Post by Tac »

I've had lots a trouble with door handles like every one else. I tried a pull style handle. Direct fit bolt into all MkII's. Also know as the Chinese MkII door handles because they originated from the Chinese market cars. Re-use factory tumblers and keys plus check alignment and operation while installing. It works fantastic. Real nice and smooth action on opening and closing. No little trigger on the handle to brake. But it won't be original any more.

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

i dont figure All chinese are bad. beck arnley for instance make their parts in china, i wonder if chinese products for se asia market are as bad as what we get in us.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

30dodgeboy will ask:
Are all of the replacement handles comparable?

If not, which is the best?

Is there an upgraded or improved handle that is better than the OE pot metal mechanism that is so fragile?
Ja, there are handles for MK2s that pull like MK3 handles.
Last edited by TylerDurden on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
30dodgeboy
Cetane Booster

Post by 30dodgeboy »

Are all of the replacement handles comparable?

If not, which is the best?

Is there an upgraded or improved handle that is better than the OE pot metal mechanism that is so fragile?

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

All that I have used over the last 20 years all don't seem to last that well, especially when it gets cold out. But they are easy to change and fairly cheap.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count