My rebuild 1.6l motor and more...

Moderator: Fatmobile

tysonminck
Glow Plug

My rebuild 1.6l motor and more...

Post by tysonminck »

Hello All

I'm currently having a 1.6l NA motor rebuilt for my 1982 diesel vanagon tintop. I've decided to post a bunch of work and thoughts on this thread to share my ideas and progress with the community. I'd LOVE any input regarding other things I should do while I'm doing this project. Here is the list of stuff thus far along with where some work has been done:

Rebuilt injection pump (Northland Diesel, Bellingham WA)

Rebuilt injectors (Northland Diesel, Bellingham WA)

Rebuild 1.6l NA long block (JC Machine, Linden WA)

New complete heads from Overland parts. I was told they were cast in Spain but I was NOT impressed with the quality of the casting. (zsimports)

Rebuild original radiator (Whatcom Radiator)

Fuel tank dropped, cleaned new breather grommets and hoses to expansion tanks. I also installed a new gasket at the top of the metal filler neck.

Dropped shift linkage and shifter knob on floor and rebuilt it all with nice new grease. (I made a great sleeve to replace the long dead grommet for the squeaky zone above the gas tank. Using bicycle rim tape and heavy duty electrical head shrink I was able to get a fit that is .005"+/-
(Photos to come)

Dropped out both rea axles, cleaned CVs and ready to switch sides and reinstall after I put new Rockford boots on.

I'm looking to buy an additional electric inline helper pump to help out the injection pump (IP) I have one in a Chevy Luv and think its a great idea!
This pump has to be wired to the KEY-ON position and also has to offer NO additional resistance in case of pump failure. What I mean here is that I don't want to fry my new IP if my electronic inline helper pump cuts out. Any suggestions?

I'm looking to buy gauges for oil pressure, oil temp, battery voltage, and glow plug power. I'd also like to wire up my water temp sender and switch.

I'm looking to but additional or improved front and reverse lights.

I'm looking to buy 15" or 16" tires and rims for all weather and most terrain use. I would really like these to simply bolt on with out any additional stud extensions. That way I can go from my winter 14" studded tires to my summer 16" road and dirt tires easily.

I'm thinking about getting a professional repaint also.

My van is currently gutted while all this work is happening. If anyone can think of other things that should be on my radar while the motor is out and the back end jacked up please post away.