Injector thread damage 1.6 na

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

byronlenz
Glow Plug

Injector thread damage 1.6 na

Post by byronlenz »

So went to install new injectors and got a bigger problem. The #1 injector was just spinning in the threads now. There are no more threads. Can I use a heli coil to repair it?
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Re: Injector thread damage 1.6 na

Post by greg lousy »

The correct repair would be to replace the pre chamber insert, which I've never done, and kind of hope to never do to be honest, as it has to end up very tight and very flush with the mating surface of head... starts to get into the "a machinist should do this" category AIUI. And this is coming from a guy who does most of the things he probably shouldn't.

Unfortunately, I don't really see helicoil working either... not even sure there's enough extra metal in the insert to allow for redrill/ retap. And if there was, you'd need big expensive drill and tap, probably have to remove head anyway, because theres no way you'd get all the metal bits out of the cylinder... probably other problems I'm not even thinking about.

I think your in a replace head or get head repaired situation.
Various vehicles in various states
byronlenz
Glow Plug

Re: Injector thread damage 1.6 na

Post by byronlenz »

Thanks that's what I was thinking already have the head pulled. Luckily I have another head laying around.