79 VW Rabbit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

BenFox16NA
Glow Plug

79 VW Rabbit

Post by BenFox16NA »

Hi, I bought my 90 Fox with a 1.6NA for $450. knew it was a good buy, always wanted a diesel just couldnt afford a truck. So now that I have one I'm hooked.
My uncle has a 79 Rabbit that he stacked on top of a thunderbird down in his Auto graveyard behind his Autoshop. I'm in the process of getting it off him and maybe restore it.
Can anyone direct me to the forums listing the rebuild procedure and torque specs, cause he parked it for running away everytime he started going downhill.
The rings collapsed from my cousins (his sons) running it hot multiple times, So if i get it shes gonna need a build.
1990 VW Fox 2-dr 1.6NA 5-spd 33 city 58 hwy Love it!
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 79 VW Rabbit

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum and world of VW diesels. The best bang for your buck is to buy a Bentley repair manual. The work you do on your own car will save you lots if you have one of these manuals around. In this book it will tell you just about everything you need to know to service one of these cars.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Some dislike the older 1.5 liter VW diesels due to lower torque and possible headgasket issues. I had a 1980 Rabbit with the 1.5 and it did go into runaway but I was able to cure it with a valve train shield and the modification to direct some of the valve cover breather tube back into the crank area. I also have a brand new set of 1.5 standard pistons and rings new in the box that I suspect I'll never have a use for since both my 79 and 80 Rabbits were sold a few years back. If interested you can PM me using the Contact link

I personally like the 1.5's but am definitely spoiled by the torque of my 1.6 engine. A friend of mine went rhough several of the older 1980 and earlier Rabbits which he was buying cheap and commuting 90 miles to work in. He ultimately wore them all out and most are parked and rusting away. :(
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
BenFox16NA
Glow Plug

Post by BenFox16NA »

Cool Thanks for the info. I'll def. be getting with you on those pistons.
So should the Bentley manual cover both the 1.5 and the 1.6 engines?
and Where is the best place to get one from, Amazon or an auto store?
1990 VW Fox 2-dr 1.6NA 5-spd 33 city 58 hwy Love it!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I bought my Bentley books on ebay but it's been several years. Don't know if any are still around. the ones for the early series used to be more plentiful (77-80 with the 1.5 engine) but I haven't trolled ebay for VW parts for m any years.
Yes if you're interested in the piston & ring set just PM me. I have had them for several years, figure they're worth $100 for the set plus shipping. Have seen them for much more (300+) but I considered those prices attempts at price gouging. Thought I might rebuild a 1.5 some day but life has a way of taking up "spare time".
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe