Fuel Leak Question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

nate_o
Cetane Booster

Fuel Leak Question

Post by nate_o »

I have a question about a fuel seepage leak coming from the top of #2 & 3 injectors. At first I thought it was the fuel return line so I replaced them but it didnt help. It isnt leaking bad enough that I can pinpoint exactly were it is coming from. Both fuel line nuts are tight.
Any ideas on the likely culprit?
Thanks
91 VW Jetta 1.6L Turbo
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Fuel Leak Question

Post by TylerDurden »

nate_o wrote:I have a question about a fuel seepage leak coming from the top of #2 & 3 injectors. At first I thought it was the fuel return line so I replaced them but it didnt help. It isnt leaking bad enough that I can pinpoint exactly were it is coming from. Both fuel line nuts are tight.
Any ideas on the likely culprit?
Thanks
It's pretty easy to get the bubble on the end of the line slightly askew and the nut will tighten without drawing the end down into the injector.

I usually keep the nut up high enough to see that I have the line centered and seated before I put the nut on while holding the line securely in place.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I do the same thing that tylerdurden does for tightening the hard lines down. Make sure the line is seated properly, then screw the nut down.

If you have access to an air compressor (or possibly a can of compressed air??), you can blow off the injector while the car is running and look for the first wet spot you see. Should be easily identifiable using this method. I've even had a hair line crack in an injector barb that caused the leak. These can break if you're not careful working around them or using tools to get the injectors out.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
nate_o
Cetane Booster

Post by nate_o »

Well that was very good advise about centering the line and then tightening it down. I tried it and took the Jetta for a test drive. When I got back there was fuel on the injectors still and I of course was very frustrated. Got to looking around some more and finally found the source of the leak. Its leaking from the IP timing bolt! it was throwing a fine mist up onto the injectors making me think that was were the leak was.
A while back I was timing the IP and managed to lose the special bolt and washer. Its a shouldered bolt with a small copper washer that fits inside of the IP housing. It rolled off the car and onto the floor and must have teleported to some other dimension because I could never find it again. So I found a metric bolt that was the same thread and a large copper washer. It didnt fit down into the small recess but did lay flat against the IP housing and seemed to seal it...until now. Itried replacing the copper washer but no luck. So basically I need to buy that special bolt/washer but never had any luck finding it in the past. Dealer doesnt have it or any other parts place I tried.
Anyone have a part # or source???
91 VW Jetta 1.6L Turbo
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

nate_o wrote:... basically I need to buy that special bolt/washer but never had any luck finding it in the past. Dealer doesnt have it or any other parts place I tried.
Anyone have a part # or source???
Diesel injection shops should have them both.

I don't have a number on the bolt, but the copper washer is likely 2916710603.

Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'll sell you one but I'm not real fast.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
EcoTX
Glow Plug

Post by EcoTX »

I sold him one, PM'd him last night, sent this morning, he should have it by Thursday!
Hope you get it up and running good.
nate_o
Cetane Booster

Post by nate_o »

Thanks for the help guys. Ordered a new copper washer using the part # and EcoTX sent me a used bolt and washer so the Jetta is back up and running with no leaks! Thanks again
91 VW Jetta 1.6L Turbo