81 Diesel P/u uses 1 pint of fuel in under a minute

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

othermeans
Glow Plug

81 Diesel P/u uses 1 pint of fuel in under a minute

Post by othermeans »

My diesel p/u uses a pint of fuel in under a minute while idling. I thought it might be a burned valve or possibly a hole in one of the pistons but there is no fuel in the oil and no smoke coming from the exhaust so where is the fuel going? As to a cure could it just be the injector pump? Any help or even an educated guess would be appreciated. Thanks
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 81 Diesel P/u uses 1 pint of fuel in under a minute

Post by Fatmobile »

If you are bottle feeding it and don't have the return line in the bottle too,..;
it's going back to the tank.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 81 Diesel P/u uses 1 pint of fuel in under a minute

Post by 82vdub »

I discovered the same things as you when I accidentially put gas in my diesel tank. I rigged up a 2.5 gallon jug of diesel and got the IP purged of gasoline, and then was going to run the car to the house to siphon the gas/diesel mixture out of the tank. It was a 10 mile trip, and I got 7 miles before nearly running out of fuel in the fuel jug. I had to stop and put more diesel into the jug just to get the 2.5 miles home.

The IP pulls much more fuel through it than it needs. It's one of the ways that the IP keeps itself cool, by taking some of that heat and putting it into the return fuel that goes back to the tank.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count