Clutch won't disengae

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Tac
Turbo Charger

Clutch won't disengae

Post by Tac »

My clutch won't disengage as of yesterday. I put a new cable in it and no results. Doing a search her was really helpful. There are a lot of good post so much that I book marked the search. After reading some of the post It's probably 1 of a couple of things, hole in the pressure plate or a broken arm that pushes the throw out bearing. I didn't pull the green cover off yet but was wondering what are the chances of the arm being broken apposed the pressure plate. I only have 35,000 on the clutch and plate. I started getting symptoms of something wrong about 5-6 months ago. When I started the car with it in first and the clutch in, it would move forward about 5 or 6 inches. 1991 Jetta ME.

Thanks
Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Tac
Turbo Charger

Re: Clutch won't disengae

Post by Tac »

I found one of those arms that push on the throw out bearing, near where I work. I'm going to get it just in case that's what it is.

Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Odds are about 50/50.
Maybe leaning a little toward a cracked arm since the pressure plate has so few miles on it.

I don't think the Mk2s have the same problem of the clutch peddle base cracking and the cable pushing through the firewall.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Tac
Turbo Charger

Post by Tac »

Thanks Fatmobile. Last night I pulled the green cover off. The arm looked alright and was operating alright pushing the throw out bearing in and the bearing would come back to where it was when the clutch pedal wasn't being pushed on. I took it apart pulled the throw out bearing and the rod out. I looked in the push shaft hole and could see the push plate pretty good. It doesn't look like there is a hole in it. I put every thing in with the new arm I picked up and It's the same. Time to call a tranny shop I think.

Thanks
Tom
1991 Jetta 1.6 ME N/A.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Did you look at the firewall end of the cable? Where it goes through the firewall.
I'm not sure that's only a MK1 problem
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.