1.6L Diesel injector size.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

TripleSquar
Glow Plug

1.6L Diesel injector size.

Post by TripleSquar »

Hello, Iam new to this forum.
Iam in need of some advice, I picked up a 1990 mk2 golf diesel with standard Trans a few weeks back.(222,000km)
This is my first Diesel car, and I am Trying to get it started up, It sat in a Garage for 10 years before I Purchased it.
Its missing one injector and I am Trying to locate another one, or set of 4. but Every site seems to have there own idea of what will work and what will not, will any Injector for a 1.5 or 1.6 work on this Motor ? any help is appreciated thanks.

sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.6L Diesel injector size.

Post by sgnimj96 »

? Why would one injector be taken out? Injector lines missing? I dunno, maybe before you start spending money on injectors get a good compression test on it. Take all the injectors out. HF sells a cheap diesel compression tester that works. You have a ways to go to make thing reliable- make sure you know what your working with.

But yea, basically all 1.5/1.6 injectors are the same - 135 Bar breaking pressure. Turbo engines are 155 Bar.
You need a new heat shield for any injector you replace to seal off the combustion gases
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10351&hilit=injector+heat+shields

If that thing really sat 10 years, the injection pump needs to come off and be disassembled for cleaning and new o-rings. New timing belt, tensioner, injector nozzles all set to the same breaking pressure...
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
TripleSquar
Glow Plug

Post by TripleSquar »

Iam Not to sure why the Injector was removed, The Gentleman that I Bought it from has past away.
But It does have a new water pump, pulleys and belts, So i can only guess that it was removed to Check TDC? the heat Shield was left in.
I do have the injector lines and coolant lines just left them off for now. everything except the One Injector.
also working on picking up a injector tester and timing dial Indicator.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'd skip the dial indicator.
The other injectors will work. Some have short bodies/springs and others are long. Overall length is the same on both but it's important that they are set close to the same breaking pressure.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.