pulling a windshield

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

greg lousy
Turbo Charger

pulling a windshield

Post by greg lousy »

finally got a five day tag for inspection on the 86 golf.
got a fighting chance at pushing it through, but I'm a little stuck on the windshield, which is cracked . getting a new one and paying to have it swapped would about equal the market value of the car . no luck at nearest junkyards. Found a part out nearby on an 88.
anyone have experience pulling one? any advice? I'm planning on paying for a professional install, I just want to pull the replacement successfully. from what I've seen on line, the fit looks pretty tight on the golf. Thinking about working mostly from the inside and going at the urethane with a razer and little handsaw (about a sawsall blade size).
Pretty sure I'm going ahead with this, just hoping to pick up a little wisdom here
Various vehicles in various states
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: pulling a windshield

Post by surfcam »

I believe the pro's use a small sawall tool that has a blade that heats up. If you could rent or borrow one you would be away to the races. There are a few other tools available that can help. A wire saw that didn't work for me and curve knife blades tools. There's always the messy away to go. Hammer and foot.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Post by greg lousy »

ha... I'm trying to get the replacement one off... otherwise I'd be a hammer and foot kind of guy, just cause it sounds fun.

renting a tool is a good idea... I'll look into it... otherwise I'll probably try some hack stuff
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I use a razor knife/carpet cutter type tool.
Only it's about a foot long and has duct tape on the corners near the blade so it doesn't scrape/cut the glass,.. like the first one I did, ha.
I got it from the local windshield repair place when my friend worked there.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Post by greg lousy »

Yeah, I've seen such knives in my research. I shockingly passed inspection after converting the floor pans to about 80 percent bondo and sheet metal, so the prospect of driving 2 hours for a windshield I may break is less appealing. If i give it a go, I'll report back