Box of rocks in 4 sp. tranny.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

supersisu
Diesel Freak

Box of rocks in 4 sp. tranny.

Post by supersisu »

Okay, this happened a couple days ago and I thought I would solicit some opinions before I take drastic measures.

Driving my 1980 Caddy in stop and go traffic, clutch pedal went to the floor and I could not get it into 1st. I managed to get it into 2nd and when rolling terrible sounds of grinding and banging started. I actually thought a wheel might have come off. So I managed to get moved off the road and parked. Took a quick look: Lots of play in the clutch pedal, tried to take it out with adjuster, too cold and I just bailed and took public to work. Next day went back with a couple spare clutch cables, swapped them out, adjusted in and out: I can shift into gear when the engine is off, with the engine running cannot get it into gear. If I start the engine in gear with the clutch pushing in, the truck jumps (because it's in gear). So got it towed (blessed AAA) and it's at my shop.

So I'm thinking something broke inside the trans, perhaps the lever that pushes the clutch rod? (I don't have my Bentley handy for proper names of parts.)

Any thoughts? My long term plan was to swap the 4 sp. out for a 5 sp. that I have anyway, so in a way this is a forced opportunity. (As well as swap out leaking fuel pump and swap mech head for hydraulic head (bubbling head gasket leaking oil and coolant)). Although if there would be a quick fix I would probably do it so I can get back on the road fast and finish up some jobs.
1981 Rabbit "Rosebud" (smashed-up parts car)
1980 Caddy 4 spd "Buttercup"
1983 Jetta 5 spd
colby
Site Administrator

Re: Box of rocks in 4 sp. tranny.

Post by colby »

Well, I had this happen but it was on an A2 Jetta. Just bought it and driving back home lost the clutch about 65 miles from home. Accused my then wife of not using the clutch but she was. So, I drove it home without a clutch and removed the transmission. The little button the clutch rod pushes into on the pressure plate disk thingy disappeared and the rod was going through the pressure plate disk thingy without actuating the clutch. Hard to explain without seeing a picture, but basically the transmission was fine and the clutch rod was just going through something that wasn't supposed to be there.

I'd pull the transmission and inspect the clutch and pressure plate. You'll know when you get it out, if your problem is the same as what mine was. I put a new clutch in and never had an issue with it again.

Oh look, I found the pictars:

supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

Thanks for the photos, Colby. It makes sense that something like that might have happened, clutch pedal pushing all the way down and nothing happening. I'll have to see what's inside when I pull the trans off.
1983 Jetta 5 spd
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

Yeah, it wasn't a bad job. I got lucky and was able to use a lift at a friend's garage, who happened to stock all the parts I needed including the tranny shaft seal and bushing, cv flange seals (I think thats what they are) and all the tools I needed to do it. He was a volkswagen / foreign car mechanic for many years. Even had a clutch in stock for it. It was an AHA moment when I dropped the transmission down and looked at the clutch.

Even if it isn't whats going on with your unit, you'd likely have to pull it to fix it anyways, but I'm willing to bet it might just be your problem.
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

Have not checked clutch release plate, but I did find two shattered clutch driven plate springs that were bouncing around the bell housing.
1983 Jetta 5 spd
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

That'll do it too. That actually happened on my father's TDI, and I had forgotten about it. The springs came loose in his clutch and rounded the bolts off that bolted the flywheel to the engine. Luckily, an impact socket removed them.
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

Here's some photos. Taking the clutch off tomorrow. Hopefully. The trans doesn't seem to be damaged except for some scratch marks inside, but I'm going to swap for a 5 sp. as soon as I can work out the trans mount problem.

http://www.pbase.com/supersisu/image/164981653
http://www.pbase.com/supersisu/image/164981654
1983 Jetta 5 spd
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

Yeah, thats what happened to my fathers TDI. I'd go ahead and replace the rear main seal while you're in there as well.