Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Post by bscutt »

I'm glad to hear that at least one of his cars will not go to the scrapper. Hagar did some pretty interesting tinkering. Let us all know how you make out with his bunny.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

Howdy Cerot,

Did you end up with "Bondo Bunny?" If so, she is the jewel that made hagar's heart tick on beat!

Im gonna step out on the ledge here and say that we all wanted that jewel but none wanted the title of capitalizing on hagar's undying love for "Bunny." Your a lucky man if you ended up with "Bunny!"

God Bless hagar for expressing true masculinity of real men!

Peace...
Cerot
Glow Plug

Post by Cerot »

Hello,
I believe that it is indeed bunny that I've ended up with, there are 5 rabbits at his place, 2 of which have engines (one being bunny). I'm going to have to sit down and read this whole thread and take notes before I even touch the car, it's got mysterious hoses running all over the place.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

The other might be "Ugly Duckling."

I know hagar had hoses that bypassed the fuel tank for various tests...pics/explanation should be in this thread. If memory serves me, there is a clear fish-tank hose that runs from the LDA to the dash with a valve...it is how he switched from ECO mode to turbo mode while driving.
Cerot
Glow Plug

Post by Cerot »

I may have been wrong, the car I have ended up with is the blue 2 door with the sunroof and no rust, which I believe is ugly duckling. Bondo Bunny (I went and looked, and she lives up to the name!) is a bit worse for wear from sitting, I could not get the drivers side door open. I do not have the room for 2 rabbits, so if somebody wanted to continue Svends legacy with Bondo Bunny I am sure she could be had from his estate for a very fair price (proceeds going to the SPCA). It would be sad to see her go to the scrapper...
Last edited by Cerot on Wed May 30, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

I found the Ugly Duckling...its on page 140 in this thread.
Cerot
Glow Plug

Post by Cerot »

Well Svends place and everything at it is now sold. All of the rabbits are going to the wrecker... except Ugly Duckling and Bondo Bunny. One day before the new owner took over there I cleared a spot in the yard and dragged Bunny out, couldn't see it get crushed. I drove Ugly Duckling home, nothing was working on the car except the engine. No headlights, turn signals, interior light, dash lights etc. I pulled the whole interior out including carpet and gave it a very thorough cleaning, I fear Svend may have spilled some of his fuel mix on the carpet a few times, nice and fresh now. Oddly enough, I took it for a drive after I reinstalled the interior and EVERYTHING worked, this car has personality. I can't get Bondo Bunny to run quite yet, she cranks but she won't fire, not even being fed out of a jug of new diesel. I'm sure it will come around. Heres a few pics at Svends place of the ones who were saved, and a few of the ones who weren't:
Ugly Duckling:
Bondo Bunny:
Parked next to BB (not one of Svends, but what the hell, its a mk1:
And the fallen soldiers:
That 3rd one thats all overgrown is the only one of the 3 with an engine in it, looks pretty complete but alas I have no room.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Love that green one. One of the colors i`d like to get ahold of.

I bet he had an impressive collection of diesel tools, pop testers, etc i`d like to have access to. ;)
offalot
Cetane Booster

Post by offalot »

I haven't been on these forums for about 3 or more years but after I fired up my caddy last night for the first time in as long I was stoked and came back to this site for more inspiration and was delighted to see this thread on the first page as I remember reading through pages of Hagar's tales back then, only to find out the horrible news. Well the old chap left a legacy. he will be remembered and it's probably easy to say he has touched many.
RIP Hagar
81 pickup
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

Nice to hear that a couple of Hagar's beloved Bunny Cars escaped the crusher!
Diesel Newbedo
bgator
Glow Plug

Post by bgator »

I feel like I've come to know a lot of interesting people after reading this entire thread. Thanks to Fatmobile for recommending this thread as a good read. Hagar certainly was a knowledgeable character that seemed to bring out the best in his readers. So many of my questions were answered here by so many different people. All I can say is WOW!! I'm just sorry that I came in too late to thank Hagar personally...I can however thank everyone else who posted their thoughts here. You guys and gals are amazing.. I would have liked to read all of Libbybapa's edited reply's though, he always seemed to have an interesting rebuttal to Hagar's point of view.

Long live Hagar and his "Hillbilly Tuning", especially the Wax Job!!!!!
DavyG

[img][IMG]http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/94/gertrudet.jpg[/img]
[/img]

Gertrude
1981 VW Pickup N/A
vwrat
Glow Plug

Post by vwrat »

Just found and read through the whole thread yesterday. Feel as if I knew Hagar. I am going to re-read this and any other "hillbilly tuning" comments to learn what Hagar knew. Through our Bunnys, Long Live Hagar.
gigaz
Glow Plug

Post by gigaz »

Godspeed Hagar, may you be in the land of GreatSmileage

I registered just to thank him for the shared knowledge
Daddavis
Glow Plug

Post by Daddavis »

I'm an old guy kinda like Hagar and am still learning from the wiser ones. Sorry I never got to meet the man.