1z TDI to mechanical pump + mk2 engine swap

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

85tdigolf
Glow Plug

1z TDI to mechanical pump + mk2 engine swap

Post by 85tdigolf »

Hi vwdieselparts.com I'm new to the forum I've been reading it for months now but just now made an account. I'll try to make my story short I bought a 85 golf last year and bought a 97 passat last month you can see where this is going :D

I going to stick the 1z in the golf but that's another post for another day. I'm going to post the full build start to finish, got a lot of questions and ill need help to avoid lots of trial and error but like I said another day. I got a 4bt injection pump from a buddy for free I really want to make the 1z mechanical injection and running before I start tearing the car apart.

Before I continue yes the mechanical 4bt pump bolts right up same shaft, same mounting on the housing it blew me away when I got it because everything I've read talks about spacing and the pump not bolting up right.

There was something wrong with the 4bt pump it's why I got it for free. Mechanic I got it from a said the motor it came off of it would start and idle fine but once you brought it up to speed pump would not deliver enough fuel motor ran way lean he said he advanced the pump and it help but still ran way lean. I asked on a 4bt forum but not much help. I've took the pump apart and see nothing wrong with it, it's got very low hours on it. Its not a real bosch pump it's a ZEXEL knockoff but it's basically the same pump and the Cummins motor it was on powerd a industrial woodchipper. Company just bought a new pump to fix the problem time was money to them lol.

Any ideas on what's wrong with the 4bt pump???

The Tdi car came with a used pump in the trunk I took it apart as well I noticed some differences between the two pumps. Like extra holes on the plunger shaft and plunger block in the Tdi pump (I think thats what it's called I'm a little new to diesels). And the 4bt ran a woodchipper at a constant 2500 rpm. So... here's what I'm thinking.

Could I take everything from the cam plate back in the Tdi pump stick it in the 4bt pump, use the govner spring from my 1.6 idi???

Another question I know someone could easily answer this what the heck in this cable and lever running to my dash to my IP on my 1.6 idi motor is it like a safely thing or a cold start timing advanced?

Here's a link to the 4bt post I got going

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum#/topics/96161?page=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: 1z TDI to mechanical pump + mk2 engine swap

Post by TylerDurden »

Ja, the cable is a cold-start advance.

I can't tell you anything on the IP, but there are some M-TDI folks around who might be able to.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
85tdigolf
Glow Plug

Post by 85tdigolf »

Anyone I could private message?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

You'd have more luck over on the vwdiesel.net forum.
They have an Mtdi fora and folks who have messed with it before.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.