Vacuum pump questions

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Ricko1966
Glow Plug

Vacuum pump questions

Post by Ricko1966 »

Just bought a rabbit diesel , my first,it is a 1982. I have determined the vacuum pump isn't creating enough vacuum which is creating a stiff brake pedal. I do not have a manual yet to refer to so i am hoping you guys can help me out here. I have already degreased and washed the engine my plan of attack is pull the pump,should be like pulling a distributor on a gas car, undo the perimeter bolts rotate the shaft till the diapragm is in the all the way down position replace the diaphragm, tighten my perimeter bolts and reinstall.Sound about right?PLease don't tell me to replace with a newer pump this car has so many other issues that I may not keep it, first I just want to make it drivable to see if it is worth the time and money. thanks to everyone.

ok it's out and apart the diaphraghm is torn big time,if anyone can tell me proper plunger position for reassembly, I would really appreciate it.

Okay it runs and drives now,I checked the title it says 1984. I need a headlamp switch previous owner put in 2 toggle switches for lights. Transmission pops out of reverse if you give it any throttle,adjust shift linkage? It is 5 speed but came with xtra 4speed ,what all do I have to change to use the 4speed if necassary?What pump timing for best mpg?What kind of real world mpg can I expect I bought this as a commuter car because I drive about 1000. miles a week and my ford festiva is about wore out.Any tips on coaxing best mpg out of this thing?t
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Vacuum pump questions

Post by Fatmobile »

I prestress the diaphram before tightening the perimeter bolts. I do this by turning the shaft until it pushes the most. I think this keeps it from stretching,.. compressing he diaphram shouldn't do any harm but stretching it might cause it to wear faster.

'84,.. my favorite. 4-door? AC? sunroof?
What is the 4-speed code. I wouldn't put a GC in it.

There is a lever, some rods and the end mount is different on a 4-speed.
Pump timing is different for each engine,.. depends on things like injector breaking pressure and how worn the pump is. YMMV.

Headlamp switches are commonly burnt out. Best to install headlight relay to make it easy on your new switch and it makes your lights brighter. You'll probably need a plug for the headlight switch because that sometimes melts when the switch goes bad. It seems like someone said autozone has a new headlight switch. Somewhere like that,.. I read it on the vortex.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.