Did I install the flywheel wrong?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

supersisu
Diesel Freak

Did I install the flywheel wrong?

Post by supersisu »

Okay, my problem: The clutch springs on my 1980 1.6 Mechanical lifter Caddy exploded. The truck does not have the original engine. So I turned the engine to put the flywheel in TDC indicated, dropped the 4 sp. trans and put in a 5 sp. I used a flywheel from the engine that had the 5 sp. because the 4 sp. flywheel got chewed up a bit from the clutch parts grinding around inside the transmission bell housing. Drove around my parking lot little, engine ran fine, had 4 forward gears, (not reverse or 5th, shift linkage needs modification, was going to deal with that later).

While I was digging into the truck, I decided to put in a new head gasket. It has been bubbling a bit for a long time, but lately had been leaking a lot of antifreeze and oil. So I turned the engine so the flywheel indicated TDC and pulled off the camshaft cover. The camshaft was not at TDC position, the lock slot on the end was about 30 degrees off. So turned the engine until the #1 lobes on the camshaft were up and locked it and the injection pump in position. Now the flywheel was no longer indicating TDC, so I painted a mark to line up with the arrow on the bell housing.

Pulled the head (p.o. had installed gasket reversed!), installed new gasket, put it back together. After installing new timing belt, tried to turn engine over by hand. At a certain point it would not move anymore, so I stopped (figuring maybe valves were contacting).

So that's where I am now, working on it today but I'm wondering: Why would the flywheel TDC mark be off? Did I maybe install it wrong? It was snowing when I did it so my patience was low and I was rushing, but it seems to me that if I didn't have the locating pins lined up correctly the flywheel would not be mounted in the right position or it would be crooked.

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm trying to avoid pulling the trans off again.
1981 Rabbit "Rosebud" (smashed-up parts car)
1980 Caddy 4 spd "Buttercup"
1983 Jetta 5 spd
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Did I install the flywheel wrong?

Post by TylerDurden »

Wise of you to stop and regroup.

If you have valve contact, it could be a stuck lifter, mis-timed crank, wrong head gasket...

If you have hydraulic lifters (engine was described as not original), they can take time to leak down if the camshaft was taken off.

You may need to verify true tdc. You can use thin stiff wire down the #1 injector hole, a clear tube with fluid connected to an injector adapter from compression tester, or even just pull the head or oil pan.

I doubt you need to pull the trans, I would avoid that PITA too. Just verify TDC, and go from there.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

If the flywheel is at TDC the little nub on the timing belt sprocket (other end of the crank )will be at about 7:30.
Sometimes the crank sprocket lets loose of the crank and a new keyway needs machined. This can move the sprocket nub but if it's still like it was at the factory you'll see the nub at 7:30.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

Thanks guys, I'll check the pulley nub. I turned the engine over as far as I could while watching where the flywheel passes through to bell housing hole: it does seem to have a wobble to it, making me think that I only fit one of the flywheel pins in the pressure plate and the other pin is riding somewhere on the pressure plate where there isn't a notch.
1983 Jetta 5 spd
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

I did install the flywheel wrong. I turned the engine to my painted TDC mark and pulled the transmission. I pulled the flywheel, it has one locating pin. When I placed the flywheel with the cast TDC mark up, there was a notch in the pressure plate that lined up with the pin. It's a bit tricky because on the spring tension of the pressure plate makes it easy for the pin to pop out of the notch. Checked it a few times before tightening. The difference between the cast TDC and my painted TDC was about 170° counter-clockwise.

By the way, if you are pulling a transmission be sure to remember to remove the speedometer cable before dropping the transmission. I didn't and I think the plastic gear pulled off the cable and is now at the bottom of the trans case. Can't feel it and can't see it but where else would it be? Thinking about putting the trans back, if the gear is still inside it's much softer than the transmission gears, right? Uggh.
1983 Jetta 5 spd
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Ja, the gear will probably get digested. They probably make em out of plastic for a reason.

You could try draining the case and peeking in, or using a USB flexi camera... they're pretty chap and handy for other stuff.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

PS just checked on Vortex... BrokeVW the tranny guru recommends getting it out. I'd give it a shot by draining it and rolling it over on the bench to help get it near the hole.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... trans-HELP!!

Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

Ha ha. Thanks Tyler, Broke VW sure knows these transmissions. I'll probably spend some more time trying to fish it out (already spent 1/2 hour, just with my fingers) and at some point I'll reach a threshold of patience and quit.
1983 Jetta 5 spd
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I sold a Rabbit to a guy. A few months later oil was gushing out the bell housing.
I went up and pulled his trany to find a speedo gear had punched through the bell housing. Well I've never seen anything try to punch it's way out of a trany and there was a beat-up speedo gear inside when I pulled it apart. So I assume that's what did it.
It was still under the 10 hour free labor warantee. Went home and got another trany. Replaced it all for free.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

Got it! Pretty easy: drained as much oil out as I could then tipped the transmission up. The gear fell right by the hole. Less than one minute.
1983 Jetta 5 spd
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Great to hear.
There is hope for others who followed your path.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.