Tracking Down Injection Pump Reseal kit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

orangestickr
Glow Plug

Tracking Down Injection Pump Reseal kit

Post by orangestickr »

Hey guys! I recently bought a '92 Golf TDI, and among a number of bits of repair work that it needs, one of the few that i'm stumped on fixing is its leaky injection pump! I feel confident enough to pull it off and do a rebuild of the seals myself, but the main issue i'm running into is I can't track down the reseal kit for it! I've tried talking to Bosch as well as a number of local shops, suppliers, as well as looking online, but so far no luck!

Long story short, does anyone know of a place I would be able to get a reseal kit? The part number for my pump is #0460494206, and the engine is the 1.6 TDI, any help would be super appreciated! Thanks!
colby
Site Administrator

Re: Tracking Down Injection Pump Reseal kit

Post by colby »

I'm assuming you mean 1.6 Turbo Diesel, not TDI. The part number you listed is the VW part number (I believe). There should be a bosch part number on it. I believe that pump will have a bosch part number ending in 109H. Any reputable diesel fuel injection shop should be able to locate the seals you need with the bosch part number. There is one fairly local to me (90 miles from my home town) in Maine that I've gotten the seals from before without issue. You can usually find them on eBay as well, but I tend to stick with the Bosch seals and not aftermarket stuff.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I rekon you need Bosch seal kit: DGK 121.

It will probably have the larger (20mm) mainshaft seal, so you'll need to purchase the 17mm seal as well:
Bosch P/N1 460 283 312
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
orangestickr
Glow Plug

Post by orangestickr »

Thanks for the replies guys!
Trumper
Glow Plug

Post by Trumper »

My local Bosch shop (which has been in business for over 35 years) sells the Flag brand kits. These are sold on ebay by a seller called "angelofishes" or they sure used to be. I believe I have his identifier spelled correctly. I have personally installed these seals for over 10 years and they are fine.
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

does the 121 kit work for a rover 300 pump and is that what the larger mainshaft seal is for?

years ago after 2 running leakers on my first vw diesels i bought an ebay video on resealing pump. i was scared but it ended up being easy. i did it without a vise but that would be very handy to have it and the pump sucure snout down when installing bits.

just have a clean work area on a big towel. one wrong move and pieces will go flying. now every used runner i get i reseal and it doesn't take long at all.

i clean the outside of the pump and dry it and use nail polish when marking some parts in relation to each other. like the accelerator arm so splines line back up. min/max screws i crack then mark and dry and back out if your pump needs it. fuel screw i have always left alone with collar. turbo pump lid has a piece that spins when you take it off. mark that asap to body. i think there is the shaft that goes through front slotted nut. i also crack that then paint a swap together and let dry. inside pump you want to make sure shaft stuff goes back right or you can get it 180 degrees out. i also use vaseline to stick the high pressure end stuff together before putting back together. make sure all those parts are seated in slots slowly when putting high pressure end back on evenly. if you don't and tighten away you will snap things. just pay attention, take pics and notes if needed and it will be ok :)
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual