How hard can you push a 1.6 NA?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Mathius
Cetane Booster

How hard can you push a 1.6 NA?

Post by Mathius »

So this might sound kind of odd, but how high to these motors really rev?
My car is a 91' Golf, and has 404,000kms.
Was told by the previous owner that it was reringed at 280k. It runs pretty good, and I keep pushing it harder, and harder when I drive it.
It seems like it revs to the damn moon!!
This car doesn't have a tach, so I'm not really sure how hard I'm pushing it?? On the hiway I usually kick it up to around 110kph. I have pushed it to 120, but it's really singing.. So I have subtly been trying to find where it floats the valves. But I don't want to kill it!!

So theoretically what would be redline in each gear with this motor?? Using the speedo as reference..
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: How hard can you push a 1.6 NA?

Post by TylerDurden »

Your transmission and tire size can tell you your rpm (provided you have the correct speedometer gear).

A 1.6 in good condition should run 120kph all day long, with a typical 5spd. (~3500rpm)

You could also guess your rpm with a smartphone and an audio spectrum meter app. 3000rpm is about 100hz.

I avoid running continuously above 3500rpm.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Mathius
Cetane Booster

Post by Mathius »

TylerDurden wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:54 pm Your transmission and tire size can tell you your rpm (provided you have the correct speedometer gear).

A 1.6 in good condition should run 120kph all day long, with a typical 5spd. (~3500rpm)

You could also guess your rpm with a smartphone and an audio spectrum meter app. 3000rpm is about 100hz.

I avoid running continuously above 3500rpm.
I was just curious to what it would do, or if I was pushing it to hard?
I drive truck for a living, and our shop mechanic told me today that the injection pump has been modified. So I guess it kinda explains a few things, cause it seems quite peppy. He also told me that these cars should topend at around 85mph wide open @4800. So even though it sounds like it's wound out, it's not. He knew exactly what motor it was. Said stock it makes 52hp, so it has been worked on.
I also have a header, and 2.25 exhaust to a glass pack.
It's loud, and its hard to tell how hard your pushing it.
I really need a tach!!
Mathius
Cetane Booster

Post by Mathius »

I should also add to the power thing.
I side stepped the clutch to a win over an 88' Chevy 4x4 today.
I was about a car length out on him when I hit 4th gear.
It's gotta be modified..
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

not sure what the difference would be between beating on a non and turbo models but i can tell you that i beat on numerous cars with these engines and a turbo. one had a turbo slapped on non turbo block.

i daily drove them 160 miles/day for work almost all highway and i never had to get a tow :) had a bad alternator. had plugged fuel filter. had a dash fire and some other little things. scariest thing i had happen is a vacuum pump vane style siezed hard and the timing belt started to smoke. it was sudden and no idea why it chewed itself up. never had that happen again.

during my runs with my rabbit i was driving 80-90mph most of the way going with the flow. there was enough traffic that we were close so i could keep things kind of steady or else cars could have easily zig zagged around me, i would pull into another lane when i needed to.

i never had any issues. i believe i have seen the coolant temp climb a bit in spurts on some hard hill climb areas or sometimes with wind. but i had electric gage with an alarm and it never reached dangerous levels, just a little different.
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual