Power loss when warm, overheating

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Trucky McTruckface
Cetane Booster

Re: Power loss when warm, overheating

Post by Trucky McTruckface »

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. The punch and hammer thing was in the Bentley manual and I was instantly skeptical. I don't have to replace any of them they look ok. It would just be for cleaning.

In other news I found out my vibration issues. 4 broken motor mounts. My last clunk was probably the lower transmission mount splitting in two. Replaced two and waiting on the machine shop to open to press the other two into their brackets to replace them. I would like to meet the engineer at VW that designed that last bolt literally wedged between the engine and the mount on the passenger side and throat punch him. Turns out mine was even stripped to make matters worse but some really good vice grips and a lot of luck got it off for me. Will probably try and replace that one with a hex head.

Head gasket was definitely leaking, even had coolant in the exhaust. Can't see any cracks on the block or head so I'm lucky so far. Going to check for warping tomorrow. I still have the injectors in and honestly I don't really think I need to take them out. One of the intake manifold bolts came out with the threads so I'll have to Heli-coil it. I'll probably replace the valve seals while I'm here and install a baffle over the cam. Hopefully as long as I don't screw anything up I'll have her back together in a week or so (need to work when I have the spare time.) Thank you for all the help.
Trucky McTruckface
Cetane Booster

Post by Trucky McTruckface »

Just for some closure the truck is back together and running well so far. It looks like a blown head gasket and destroyed motor mounts were the culprits. One problem I have now though is that oil is pouring out of the valve cover. I think I will make a separate post for it but it seems to be leaking no matter what I torque the studs to. Another little finding that I had was that the recommended fuel injection pump timing of 0.88 was not enough to run smoothly for some reason. I don't have a yellow. Injection pump but there is a red dot on it. It seems to require the same 1.15 timing. Just an observation as I never read anything about a red dot injection pump.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Did you use the rubber valve cover gasket?
If so,.. Did you use the studs that came with it? I hope not.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.