Oil Leak

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

81dubdiesel
Glow Plug

Oil Leak

Post by 81dubdiesel »

Hey, guys! Haven't been on the forum in a good while. I don't mean to be the guy that hops on as soon as he has an issue but we all know how busy life can be.

Anyway, I have put about 20,000 miles On my 1981 rabbit LS 1.6 NA since buying a little over a year ago. Now had just about a little over 90,000 miles on it. Just today as I was on my way back from work I started to feel and hear it start to miss and saw some white smoke from the hood and exhaust. Still didn't run too terrible. I got it home (luckily I was right around the block from my place) lifted the hood and saw that the whole engine was covered in oil. I immedialy thought to myself "this engine is toast..." After cooling down I went to investigate and saw that the oil was spitting and white smoke was puffing out from inbetween the head and block. Specifically in between cylinder 3-4 just under the water neck. Did some research and found out that there is a high pressure oil port right there that people have a common probably with and are usually needed to replace the head gasket. I attempted to re-torque the head bolts and they were all the way snugged and torqued to spec. I guess my only option is to replace the head gasket, correct? I'm still warming up to these diesels so I'm a tad nervous about takling this job. I guess I just need some advice and tips to get through this.

I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks guys!

-Nick
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Oil Leak

Post by Fatmobile »

Worst oil leak I've heard of from that spot.
Hard to believe it blew the head gasket out (at least it sounds like it did, spitting and all)
,.. it usually just seeps there or bleeds into the water jacket.
I wonder if your oil pressure is too high. Sometimes the pressure regulator gets stuck.
Yep, new head gasket at least.
'81 sooo it probably has the 11mm headbolts.
I hope the block is OK.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
81dubdiesel
Glow Plug

Post by 81dubdiesel »

It's definitely the worst I have seen or heard anyone talk about as well. It does indeed have the 11mm bolts. I'm going to tackle this job Sunday and make sure the block and head are okay. Anything special I'm missing besides getting the car to TDC, locking the cam and locking the pump? Done plenty of head gaskets just these diesels are still pretty new to me. Tips would be greatly appreciated.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Nothing much different than other head gaskets.
I do set the gasket in place and see how the edges line up with the block and make sure that's where they are before I set the head on it.
You might try to find some hylomar spray,... or at least copper spray.
If everything is fine I'd use head studs this time, Since the 11mm headbolts are the same thread as the gasser, you can sometimes find used studs on vwvortex.com classifieds.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.