1991 turtle diesel running rough...

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Mattz71
Glow Plug

1991 turtle diesel running rough...

Post by Mattz71 »

Hey guys!

Got a 1991 Jetta 1.6td. recently had a buddy do the timing belt in the car. Upon completion and on the drive home the car drove the same. Probably about 500 - 1000 km later the car has rough starts, Bellows blue smoke on idle. And is very very slow and seems to be misfiring. The car was always sooting, now under load or boost does not throw any smoke. Any help is appreciated!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 1991 turtle diesel running rough...

Post by bscutt »

Recheck the timing meticulously. if the belt wasn't tensioned properly it may have jumped one tooth somewhere. I had that happen on one of mine years ago, fortunately no valve damage and easily resolved. you could also have a fule restriction problem and the water separator on MK2s is a common problem area. Search the forum for that subject for more info.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

My guess is on belt skipping a tooth too. Its possible it skipped on the injection pump, which could cause these problems. As previously indicated, set crankshaft at TDC, verify camshaft is at TDC, and dot on IP pulley lines up with mark on IP bracket.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, sometimes a fresh belt stretches and gets loose enough to jump the injection pump one tooth.
Also check that the crank sprocket is solid,.. grab the crank pully and see if it moves.

Get clear fuel lines and look for air going into and out-of the pump.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.