Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

hagars Saga getting too long winded ? --- I agree and will do something about it.

How do you contain enthusiasm ?-EH ? harder than TUNING a Rabbit.

hagar.

PS : I need coke and fatmobile help me slim things down.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Bunny Bondo ---limping home without the battery ? yes (it was stolen) (fiction) that is one thing I like.
I just removed stop solenoid , removed plunger ,reinstalled and the sealing is an O ring.---Try that on a 2006 TDI.----stupid tale ? ---wait the wire to stop solenoid is NOT FUSED.

NO tow truck ever on my Rabbits. ---not like my GM V8 pieces of junk.

hagar.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I watched War of the Worlds the other night and the Aliens used a Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) with the lightning to knock out everything electrical. Cars, phones, lights, TV's EVERYTHING. I got to thinking about it and I figured it would be easy to make the stop solenoid work without power and thereby have a running car. Now that Hagar has let me know how to do it I am now prepared for the next Alien EMP.

Aliens attack, CoolAirVw removes plunger on the stop solenoid, push starts the vehicle (hope its warm and dont need the glows), I'm back on the road.

Only OLD VW diesel cars will run after Aliens attack. One more reason to own one. Plus it will be easier to get Veggie fuel than Diesel after aliens attack. For some reason I cant convince my wife that this is a reason she should be driving a VW diesel.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
canman
Cetane Booster

Post by canman »

verry good. I was wonder exactly how to negate the stop solenoid when running sans power

how did you decide to stop it when you got where you where going??

remove the inlet line or block the return... or did you smother your baby bunny bondo
or *gasp* stall it out
vegitarian 1991 passat 1.6 td
cold little 91 golf "no vegies in winter"
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

To stop " Bunny Bondo " sans power running ? I use gear 4 idle and easy on the clutch and brake. -----why clutch ? to dampen impulses. ---why 4 not 5 ? --I do NOT trust 5 for power pulses.

hagar.
canman
Cetane Booster

Post by canman »

not a verry happy stop hard the clutch and brakes but i guess you don't have to go under the hood.
but thank you for the sans power post. verry ingenius.
vegitarian 1991 passat 1.6 td
cold little 91 golf "no vegies in winter"
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

Hagar,

I have bee following this post since it started and it has been a fun read

So after doing all of the tests that you have described and everything checks out then what do you suggest to do from there Hagar since I get 45 to the gallon, I need to adjust my timing and back off my fuel screw.

but thinking about it, its going to take so much fuel to move you down the road so the fuel screw is a limiting factor for top end and acclereation. Timing will make a difference, after you have gotten everything adjusted for your 70 mpg have you checked to see what your timing is set at to give teh rest of us an idea on where to set our timing. I relize it will be different for each car but the general idea would be great.

What breaking pressure do you have your injectors set at?

Thanks
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

My main interest in being here ? --to tell you guys (or girls) that the Bosch injection system can be tested and or fixed by a good DIY --- ---contrary to the Bentley manual. ---No fancy test bench and what not is necessary.

The 107A and 109 ----and letters ---are much alike. Piston about 10 mm and stroke about 90 thou inch amerikan. ---Stroke is constant --so delivery is regulated by bleeding fuel back to main compartment of pump through a drilled hole in piston and regulated by a "Control Collar" ---two very small holes are covered for full power and uncovered for ---minimum --Power. --yes it will kill the engine.--

Control collar is moved by a very complex interaction of Governor and Bias springs.and pedal --A direct pedal to collar --could not work --your foot is not sensitive enough. --From full power --(holes covered) to idle (holes mostly uncovered) is only about one eight of an inch Amerika.

How did I test all the pumps I got ?----more on that later.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Gearhead I set the pressure at 2370 on 193 nozzles ----Bosch injectors with the long spring.----If you have a Rabbit 1.6L turbo and you get 45 miles on a US gallon ?---you are close to "FINE TUNING" ---go for about 55 miles on a gallon ---from 55 to 70 takes a lot of fiddling. I am working hard right now to get Bunny Bondo ready for a Smileage test this summer ---goal ? 120 on a gallon IMP. ---
The hardest part of setting pressure ? --getting those thin shims.

And yes turn the Fueling screw out a very small tad to you get a marked reduction in performance (Power)--then go from there to your liking.

I turned my screw so many times that I had to change O ring. --LOL.

hagar.
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Roughly what is your timing set at? roughly? right now i have mine set at 1.00 mm
do you leave the cam straight in phase with the engine or do you play with that a little (not much room there to play with)?

also when you said that you are running 5 psi at about 70 mph are you able to vary that? I can since I have a variable gate turbo so would you run more boost if you could?

Thanks and I agree with the injection pumps. they are mechanical nothing to be afraid of get a junk one and tear into it to see how they work, take your time and clean everything and put it back together

have you done any internal pump mods like clearance teh pump for more timing??

Later
Justin
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Remember " Bunny Bondo " is NO spring chicken ? --EH ?.--- or little fuzzy Rabbit. ?

For good Smileage ? ---5 PSIG is a OK ? --it is. Fire in the boiler is directly connected to the TURBO.----more fire more pressure.---there you go ? EH --that is TUNING.
Only upper limit on pressure that I know about -? --Is where the intake valves do not close.---BUT that is no way close to maximum SMILEAGE..

The only guy in the UNIVERSE that I can think of --getting close to that kind of pressure ? --is LORENS friend JAKE the kid and his racing Rabbit---- Yes " Hillbilly TUNING " does include MAXIMUM POWER.---if that's what you like.

An overfueled diesel is capable of incredible POWER. how do I know ? --that was Bunny Bondo when she got here.

hagar.

PS : will comment on IP time of Bondo later.
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Hagar,

the reason that I asked if more pressure would benifit to running super lean is the more air, and currently I run 5 psi of boost at 55 mph with the .70 to 1 4th gear 4 speed. with the variable gate i could open or close the gate to get more or less pressure while cruising to run even leaner. I do not have a controller for this turbo yet so i just have everything set by hand.

if you could run more than 5 psi at 70 would you??

Sincerely,
Justin
finnbulli
Cetane Booster

Post by finnbulli »

I’ve tried to somewhat shorten Hagar’s writings to what I regard as the red line, IMHO.
Undskul Hagar.

Finnbulli

Then I put in 2 litres of ESSO GX Gear Oil 80 W 90 GL-5.

--Normal diesel fuel with 750 mL AD -100 added to 20 litres of fuel.
AD-100 is a ESSO Aviation Oil piston job stuff.---means ASHLESS --dispersant.----I used it solely to lubricate IP and Injectors----as a bonus it is perfect feed for a Rabbit.

SUPER lean is part of the answer. Complete combustion --NO soot lube stays clean. ---And that is with a Walleymart ---FRAM extra guard PH3569--Honeywell job. and Walleymart 15-40 Tech 2000 oil.--works fine for me.

70 gives nice performance --BUT no burning of rubber ---boost is sitting at 5psig.

The VW 1.6L turbo 1984 use a swirlchamber (think vortex) BOSCH translators call it a whirlchamber at times ---but you get the drift.

LOTS of vortex makes for a CLEAN burn. ---leading to NO soot in lube.

TIMING will not do it. By the way I use 1.5L nozzles-- 193. set at max pressure. according to Bentley. (brand new ones). get NEW nozzles-OK ?

PS: aside from soot reduction ---the cylinder max pressure is lowered --saving head problems. ---NEVER lug a VW --use lots of RPM.

----My advice to you all is to buy a book by Bosch --called Diesel Engine Management . And study.

MIXTURE ? you MUST understand mixture. -----it takes about 11 pounds of air to burn 1 pound of fuel --give and take.

What exactly does "Super Lean" mean? ----simple --LOTS of air little fuel.

Pressure in pump MUST be 43.5 Psi at 1000 RPM engine ---more on this next time.
Pressure at 2000 Rpm -about 75.4 Psi.

When I got Bondo her oil was black as tar ---Tobys butt ? EH and the the turbo was so coked up it hardly turned.
After a year of running super lean --Turbo is clean and engine is CLEAN --and that is gospel. –

Fuel flow measured very accurate ---using lab beaker.
If the IP flow is less than about 25 litres per hour at idle ---you will never get to really great Smileage.
On a rabbit the IP and the nozzles ----is where the pay dirt is---the mother lode.

On the 107 A 109 a -ag - aw ---and so on if internal pressure is low ---timing mechanism will NOT work to spec.

Pressure being op to spec --does NOT guarantee that roller ring will turn --it could be stuck. OK ? so more testing will be done later... using a transducer. and timing light.

What is blotter testing ? -----well thre are many versions --here is hagars :
Use a piece of IBM printer paper --place a drop of fluid to test and let it dry.

Then place a strong light behind paper ---and what you see is a very accurate picture of ---condition of equipment ---Tranney Oil ,Brake Fluid or Engine Lube OIl.--and on and on.

I ran vinyl tubing ---fishtank stuff --in to cab for a on off valve ---BUT if you want to be really smart --use a seperate airpressure source.

As part of my experience with Rabbits --it became obvious that the diesel forums did not cover the most important issue----that is for Smileage and performance. --The IP internal timing system.----lets call it Injection advance .--it advances Injection in relation to RPM. ----

Simplest of all ? ---the COLD start knob pull test. -- I used a 79 cent fish scale from a hardware store..

Test the pull stopped and then at Idle. --The ratio will tell if pump is bad or ok or Excellent. Excellent ratio is 20 lbs stopped and 2 Lbs at Idle.

Next simple test : The flowtest at idle. ---625 ml in 90 seconds ---you have a good IP.

1000 RPM ---NOT critical --just a nice slow smooooooth idle.

--and nozzles ? ---ALL the nozzles for Rabbits will work. The number is right on the things. ---1.5L NA and 107A pump and the 193 . Was designed to work together.

My experience --experimenting --with all the different nozzles --showed that they all work if you TUNE.

293 is called for on 1.6L NA and Turbo ----193 --is the cheapest ----and works best for me.
All the BOSCH injectors and Nozzles can be used in a MIX.—

fatmobile asked if the pull test on cold knob was worth doing ? ----it is. ---To get a handle on I P internal pressure ---that is the simplest test of all.--IMHO.

When we do it at engine running ? we get mechanical force and Hydraulic force working in tandem. The hydraulic force is a indication of pump internal pressure.--NO hydraulic assistance ? tells us we have a BAD pump.

If you do not get a Bunny Bondo reading ? 2 to 20 ? --do not PANIC----(unless you want to).

All 107A and 109----BOSCH pumps suffer from reduced pressure as time go by----it is a very gradual deterioration.------A 107A with bad fuel ? will move your Rabbit about 60 000 Km and die. --a 107A with GOOD fuel ? will do 600 000 KM --and laugf.
.---BUT when you get a reading 20- 20 it is time to PANIC.

Under " Hillbilly " TUNING ? do we play around with Valve timing ? --yes we do. BUT be carefull those valves and pistons are close.---very close.

BUT first get the clearance up to max----and HOT --- ok a tad better than MAX ?.
Normal gasser to start ? retard ignition- a Rabbit ? advance Injection ---NOT retard.
A normal gasser when the valve-train wears ? valves will not OPEN ---on a Rabbit valves will not CLOSE.

The 107A and 109 ----and letters ---are much alike. Piston about 10 mm and stroke about 90 thou inch amerikan. ---Stroke is constant --so delivery is regulated by bleeding fuel back to main compartment of pump through a drilled hole in piston and regulated by a "Control Collar" ---two very small holes are covered for full power and uncovered for ---minimum --Power. --yes it will kill the engine.--

Control collar is moved by a very complex interaction of Governor and Bias springs.and pedal --A direct pedal to collar --could not work --your foot is not sensitive enough. --From full power --(holes covered) to idle (holes mostly uncovered) is only about one eight of an inch Amerika.

Gearhead I set the pressure at 2370 on 193 nozzles ----Bosch injectors with the long spring.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Yes I am working on a post --on my findings about the BOSCH Injection system --EH ? ---BUT I have my priorities.-----????? EH ? wednesday the 19 of april come to sigrid's for turkey dinner alet 4:00 p.m.lenora

Turkey --EH ? NOT Rabbit.

hagar.

PS : I am going.
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

April 19

Post by slowbirds »

Hi Hagar: Hope you enjoy the turkey dinner. What day is today? It is Julie`s birthday. She would be 66 if she was still here.