IP Pump Timing/Fuel Issue?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

demon
Cetane Booster

Re: IP Pump Timing/Fuel Issue?

Post by demon »

Yep. Fuel is flowing thru the gravity line. Its hooked to an upside down tranny fluid bottle filled with diesel. The side of the bottle has a see thru measurement gauge on the side.

Injectors worked perfectly before. I didn't replace the nozzles. Just removed them from the old head and torqued them in the new head with new heat sheilds.

I'm going to check the return line for restrictions, and a few other things again.

Thanks guys.
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

I just checked the fuel lines again...no restrictions. OUT bolt internal filter is clean. Checked mechanical and pump timing. Primed pump again and hooked to gravity feed. Still no difference. Still runs like shit blowing white smoke.

I still think its a timing issue, so I'm gonna have a friend (diesel mechanic) come look at it with fresh eyes. It's probably something stupid that I overlooked.

Thanks everyone.
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

Update: We got the timing issue somewhat sorted out, but are discovering that I have a fuel starvation problem also. Runs good off the bottle, and like crap hooked up to the filter. I'm going to blow out all the lines, check the in tank filter, and check to make sure I didn't crush or kink the hard metal lines when I jacked it up.

Does anyone know where to buy the stock hard metal lines going from the tank to the firewall?

Also something to check, when I installed the new fuel filter it didn't come with the new small o-ring. The directions on the box (an old ass Fram) said I didn't need one. Every diesel I ever changed fuel filters on always had a new o-ring to replace on the fule pipe. Seems quite odd.

If the o-ring isn't on there wouldn't the fuel by pass the filter?

Thanks.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You may be able to get OEM fuel lines from the dealer, but I'd be surprised if you can. Most of that you just go get sections of steel brake line and bend your own. The steel brake line will have SAE fittings on it, so if you splice it into a stock VW fitting somewhere, you will need to get the appropriate SAE to metric adaptors.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
btrapr
Cetane Booster

Post by btrapr »

I too am fighting fueling/air issues and posted a thread for direction. As far as lines most Advance/autozone/o'reilly's carry metric brake lines if that makes it easier... I too have contemplated making new lines...OR just buying a 25' roll of 3/8" aluminum tubing and making my own.

good luck
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

Update: I changed the fuel filter...again just to eliminate things. Then I checked all my rubber to metal lines going back to the tank. Everything looks good. Then I pulled out the rear seat and removed the screen ffrom the tank. It was full of muck, but you could still see light through it. In cleaned it and ordered a new one from vw.

IMPORTANT INFO!!! If you want to replace your tank screen, the dealer said there was only (9) left in the country!

I added a 14 ft. flexible fuel line from the fuel tank to the pump inlet. Still not pulling fuel. So after reading some other posts with the same issue, and figured my vanes must be stuck. So I installed a 7 psi Electric Diesel Fuel Pump between the filter and IP.

She runs smooth but I'm still hitting a wall at 1200 rpm. It seems like its just hitting the govenor at 1200rpm. I even adjust the max throttle screw....no difference.

When you take the top off the LDA, is there any reference point from the factory on the housing to line up the diaphram dot?

Which way should I turn the diaphram?

What else should i do to adjust the govenor?

I'm a little new to learning the internals of the bosch pump and how it ticks. Thanks everyone!
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

demon wrote:She runs smooth but I'm still hitting a wall at 1200 rpm. It seems like its just hitting the govenor at 1200rpm. I even adjust the max throttle screw....no difference.
Before opening the IP, I would verify the IP internal pressure and/or the flow from the outlet. That should give you a differential diagnosis whether the lift section is functioning. Check the sticky on IP pressure.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

btrapr wrote:I too am fighting fueling/air issues and posted a thread for direction. As far as lines most Advance/autozone/o'reilly's carry metric brake lines if that makes it easier... I too have contemplated making new lines...OR just buying a 25' roll of 3/8" aluminum tubing and making my own.

good luck
Brake lines are small bore, surely no good for more than a couple of ft downhill for fuel...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

Pump wasn't sucking and still wouldn't run good with an eletric inline pump installed. So not knowing the true age of the pump (odometer says 300k), I sent it out to <edited my moderator> for a rebuild.

Normally they would have just sent me a core/rebuilt pump, but they didn't have any 109Q's in stock, so they rebuilt mine. I just got it back from their vendor. It looks brand new and sick, painted Desert Tan.

Hopefully I'll get it installed tommorrow.
FriedRabbit
Glow Plug

Post by FriedRabbit »

demon wrote:Pump wasn't sucking and still wouldn't run good with an eletric inline pump installed. So not knowing the true age of the pump (odometer says 300k), I sent it out to <edited my moderator> for a rebuild.

Normally they would have just sent me a core/rebuilt pump, but they didn't have any 109Q's in stock, so they rebuilt mine. I just got it back from their vendor. It looks brand new and sick, painted Desert Tan.

Hopefully I'll get it installed tommorrow.
Any luck with the new IP?, I am courious because I have the exact same problems that you have. Exact same sinerio, a car with a lot of miles and a new rebuilt engine that will not accellerate above idle.
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

Installed the new/rebuilt IP, set the IP timing to 1.00mm, primed it, and she fired right up and runs great!

Took it on a test drive for about 10 miles. I took her up the mountain easy....half throttle doing 30mph. 3rd gear with no to little boost. I topped the mountain with water temp at 225 degrees and pyrometer at 1100 degrees.

I noticed a vaccum/boost leak or exhaust leak. I figured the manifold just needed retorqued. Pulled over and found that my K24's center housing bolts were backing out. I lost (2) bolts. Son of a bitch! I lost a manifold to turbo bolt too! I'll have to loctite them.

Also, I found out the 1500 degree"Flame Proof" Header Spray Paint they sell at Advance Auto won't keep the turbo looking nice. LOL. Burnt right off. The manifold and downpipe still look good though.

I have a few bugs to work out yet. But the new IP did the trick!