Struts

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

79rabbit
Cetane Booster

Strut removal / front end alignment

Post by 79rabbit »

dont forget that when you mess with bolts holding the strut on , if you dont mark the eccentric , youll have to get a front end alignment done. It is a good idea to do it anyway after replacing the struts , because things shift after time and especially after a component replacement. Otherwise youll get lower gas mileage and fast tire wear.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

eccentric and front end alignment

Post by hippiehulahooper »

front end alignment after rear struts? and what is an eccentric? book's not in front of me.
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

If you took a compus and drew a circle. Then opened it up wider moved it up a little bit away from the first circles center. Then draw a circle around the first circle. You then would have two circles inside of each other that don't have the same center or an eccentric. When you rotate the inner circle it gives you lateral movement to adjust your alinement.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

You shouldn't need an alignment after doing the rear shocks... just the front struts.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When I know I'm going to do some struts I hit the area between the strut and hub with some paint and let it dry,... so I can set everything back where it was and avoid an alignment.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
mazola
Glow Plug

Post by mazola »

ive been reading through this thread (very helpful)....

i have a 91 jetta diesel and it needs new struts bad! but when i look up on the internet or call the local parts place, i get mixed information as to whether or not i can just replace the insert or if i have to get the entire assembly. Is there a way i can tell by looking at the strut if I am able to simply replace the insert. and then theres the boge/sachs part #'s that i cannot seem to figure out. different places list different part #s for the same year models of the jetta. Does boge/sachs have a decent website for a fit guide.

Also, special tools required... 1. do i really need them, any tips or tricks. and 2. the bentleys lists the special tool for the flange nut fits a 22mm, but my flange nut is 21 mm... is the replacement that comes with a new strut going to be a 22mm or 21mm. im worried that ill have to have 2 of the same special tool and i really dont want that.

thanks in advance for any advice.
91 jetta ecodiesel
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

You can replace only the strut insert on all Mk2 struts. However, replacing just the strut insert requires a spring compressor and the slotted nut tool. I wish VW didn't require so many stupid special tools, but in this case I'm sure it was a safety issue as they didn't want anybody zipping off that nut without a spring compressor and turning their strut insert into a deadly projectile.

I just checked my '88 Jetta and it too has 21mm nuts. I find that interesting as the Bentley usually isn't wrong (it's not the first time the Bentley has been wrong though).

If you get the 21mm offset wrench and the new nuts turn out to be 22mm, you can re-use the old nuts (assuming same threads); there's no way they are going to fail from metal fatigue. The thing is you need to keep them from coming loose -- hence a new nylock nut or you can accomplish the same thing with Loc-tite. In fact Loc-tite will probably hold better (but it sucks to be the next guy to change the struts on that car ;) ).

If you don't want to buy an expensive offset wrench, you can butcher a spare 21mm deep socket with a grinder so you can get the allen key in there. Alternatively you can weld a handle onto it (or grind two flats on opposite sides so you can grip it with a big crescent wrench) and use an allen wrench in through the top.

Same thing with the slotted nut tool, find a small socket that will fit over the strut rod and then grind away at it until it has two teeth to fit the slot. Then grind a couple of flats on the sides so you can grip it with a big wrench.

Can you tell I like grinding things? :P
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've heard that on '91s you have to buy the whole strut assembly, the stock ones won't come apart.
If you get housings from an earlier year you can use just the inserts.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Well I'll be.... learn something new every day. I wish the Bentley made mention of this! Might be important information for the person that just bought inserts and has his car apart before discovering the problem.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah they did a few changes to the A2s in the last couple years.
The steering rack is different,... I think it's the same as the first years of the A3.
The steering wheel fits on a larger splined shaft.
Emergency brake handle setup is different.
Recently learned of the helper spring on the clutch peddle that makes pushing the clutch in easier.
Big bumpers and big doors are obvious changes.
I think passive seatbelts were only available in the last couple years.

I like most of these changes but I don't concider non-rebuildable struts an upgrade.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Fatmobile wrote:Yeah they did a few changes to the A2s in the last couple years.
Big bumpers and big doors are obvious changes.
I think passive seatbelts were only available in the last couple years.

I like most of these changes but I don't concider non-rebuildable struts an upgrade.
Ditto. My '88 has the small bumpers and passive seat belts though, so it apparently only has some of the "upgrades". I wonder if 22mm strut nuts means rebuildable struts and 21mm nuts mean sealed struts?
mazola
Glow Plug

Post by mazola »

thanks for the info...

ill replace the entire assemblies. but ill still need to remove the spring to re-use it, but i can rent a compressor for that.

i thought about trying to turn my 21 mm socket with another wrench and putting the hex key through the drive hole, but i was concerned about torqing it to specs when i put it all back together... if i use lock-tite, do i really need to worry about getting it spot on.

lastly, is it worth the upgrade to the advantage/turbogas. i dont need it to corner like a porsche, im just not enjoying bouncing down the highway...

cheers
91 jetta ecodiesel
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

rear strut access and bottom bolt at mount

How do I access the top of the A2 Jetta rear struts? I went into the trunk and I see the plastic cover. looks like you can lift the cover off the rear deck below the glass for more access.

hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

rear strut replacement

Alright I did the rear struts this weekend. I didn't pop out the rear deck like I thought I might have to, instead I used a 17mm standard socket with a vice grip as my handle. fisrt one took a second but the second was done in no time. I don't think this car had any maintenance done though it does have ne front pads. the bumpers in the struts looked like they had been on there since 1990.