Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Why ? would hagar who has lots of OLD pumps here --put out 72 + dollars for a coolant pump ? ---SIMPLE --EXPERIENCE ----NEW injector nozzles ? ----same reason.-----I have the money OK ? --if I was broke ? I would use an OLD pump-? ----read my lips.

New nozzles for Smileage ------NEW coolant pump ? --to keep a COOL head.

hagar.

PS : what is wrong with Spanglish ? ----THE USA has NO official language.---not so far ?.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

For testing the pumps ?(IP) ---yes a good dial indicator is essential ---I use it for testing camplate and rollers for pits and flats etc.---doing this test is a good idea on 1977 to 1984 Rabbits. ----that era was the time that the big fuel problem destroyed thousand of pumps. --around 1992 ---I found it necessary to do a lot of turns --to make sure rollers did at least one full turn.-------Is it possible to degauss a pump --without taking it apart ? Yes IMHO.---I just noticed that a cam plate 8595 --here in my hand is like a strong magnet.--amazing how strong it is. ( I am a master Degausser ) I grew up with magnetic mines in the Navy. ---and as a flyboy with magnetic compass.----did many a swing. ----

hagar.

PS : I never use the dial for timing pumps ----I am a TUNER.----- but it seems my life is full of Magnetism. ----A pulse would never stop Bunny Bondo.
Last edited by hagar on Sun May 07, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Coolant pump experience : I detest that type of pumps.--------did a lot of flow-testing and HEAD .
The flow was ok --but the maximum head was barely above top of VC.

Remembering about the early Rabbits had a lot warped -twisted bowed , cracked heads I decided to speed up the 1.5 L --pumps ---that took all of 30 minutes. I simply changed pulley on crank. --a pulley from a 1.6 L worked perfect.
I suspect that VW increased speed long time ago. Warning : I did not check to see that timing mark on pulley was in the same place on the two pulleys.----some off mine has a mark -some do not.

I suspect all that burping we do is due to the low head. ---AIRLOCKS --then steam. Bunny Bondos pump was trashed.

hagar.

PS : I am extremely lucky to have slowbirds next door --he is retired too. He uses my ramp at times.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Here is tad more about coolant pumps FUN that was had here.-----:

Having a couple of engines sitting on plywood ---in driveway --for testing things on , was a great help.

Both are 1.5L NA --no manifolds --cooling ? 20Litre bucket. (see hagars pictures).

The coolant pumps are identical 1.5L and 1.6L --the only difference is the SPEED ---that is determined by the pulleys. Years ago when I mentioned in a forum that I sped up the pumps on my 1.5L engines ? I was warned about CAVITATION. ---well VW answered that question.

So this information gives us DIY experimenters a lot of choices. --We can change pumps and or pulleys.--for 100 MPG Imp (120 is target) I use the slowest pump. --For a speed run I would use the fastest.

This all started with investigating the cooling pumps on the 5.7L GM V8 diesels years ago ---the diesel impeller is way bigger than the gasser on the same engine block. -- -Sure was one sweet running diesel.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

The Saga continued : Today is May 08 --2006 ---and sweet Bunny Bondo is in ER. ---She dropped the coolant pulley in the ditch on 101.---not to worry I have more pulleys here.

Dr. slowbirds and Dr. hagar --will attend .---SHE is in GOOD hands.--read my lips..

I have a friend across the highway 101 --- who used to be the chief surgeon in town ---Dr. Barry Cutler --a fine man IMHO. --I use to joke him about , my Diesel ER . I said when they bring em in to your table --a lot die. Well here they bring em in DEAD --and when they leave ?--they are full of LIFE..--top THAT ?

Try this for spares up here ---rad hose 068 - 121 --053 --P. 75.86 dollars Kanadian---? --I got HOSED ? you bet.

hagar.
tylert14
Glow Plug

Post by tylert14 »

What about en electric water pump? Not that it would help with MPG much, but would it help with getting more power out of the motor since there would be less drag?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Electric Coolant pump ? ---I like it . That way it can be controlled according to temperature .--- that would increase SMILEAGE.

hagar.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I dunno if the trade off's worth it. While energy may be saved from the pump only spinning on demand, that energy will be more "expensive" since it ultimately comes from the engine as well, but needs to move through the alternator (losses), wiring (small losses), and electric motor (small losses). Does anyone know how much time the thermostat is open compared to closed?

I think the most efficient setup would be having something like an AC compressor, where the pulley spins but doesn't turn the pump until you run current through it and a magnet connects the two (or however an AC compressor works?). :? :)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Get used to it --hagar is an eccentric. ----6 pages ? my foot.

Is it possible to fall in LOVE with an ugly woman ? ---bet your butts (I was handsome) so that was not an excuse.

How's about ugly Cars ? --if you know , what I know about the "BUG" --the "BEETLE" ---what a performer.? --- my Landrovers do not flaunt their beauty ? or the C-5 Jeep ? ---we all love them ? EH ?.

Enter the Rabbit diesel : WOW .----German diesel Italian body ---now we got performance and beauty..
Takes my breath away.-----I do not reject good looking women --IF they have personality to match.

VW diesels evolved over the years-----from a 1.5L NA --to a 1.6L NA to a 1.6L Turbo ---to a 1.6L ECO.----ECO ? it indicates that it is environmentally friendly. Ecology ?. --by the way the ECO is a Turbo.----yes a REAL turbo.--BUT it has no LDA. (the smoke system) .

Sorry I have to go to ER. ----will be back.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

With all the talk about --FUEL ? --can hagar stay out ? ---where there is a furball ? --I am at my best.

For a Rabbit diesel ? --the best feed --is PARAFFIN --yes --paraffin ---read my lips.

However Canola like "RIMINI" ---works well.. Bunny Bondo just love to chew on a candle I feed her ParoWax --- clean burning god lubricant and high CETANE number.--and cheap..-----Be nice to a Rabbit ? and you know the rest ? EH ? ----"SMILEAGE" for hundreds of thousands of miles.
AD-100 ESSO is paraffin lube.--remember paraffin crude makes the BEST lube.. And Aviation lube gets the best crude all the time.

hagar.

PS : Bondos pulley wound up in the ditch ? --why ? --the press fit on the shaft let go --that is the only one I ever heard of that let go while driving.---I never worked on that part..It was not just the pulley that departed --it was the hub as well.--strange ?.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Now coke and fatmobile gave me a bit of slack ? -EH ? ---SO ? --I am going to use it.

Lets say that MOZART was a mass murderer ?--EH ? would I still play his music ? --try
me.------

If Rudolf Diesel was involved in GENOCIDE ---would I still drive a DIESEL ? ---try
me.-----

Talking about music ----I am blessed that --some of you sent me music CDs. --Nanaimo and
Flagstaff.---and do they play here or what ?---Wookum is still in the CD player.

But a SAGA ? ---do not worry it will go on if I am still alive.---you bet.

What exactly is a SAGA ? ---be dammed if I know----and I grew up there.---go figure.? EH ?.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

" Bunny Bondo " is back in training for this years attempt of getting 120 miles on a Imp gallon. ----Dr. slowbirds and Dr. hagar operated on her yesterday. --- and she is doing fine . Cost of spare parts ? about 300 dollars Kanadian.----thems by-pass hoses are pricy.?--EH ?

Just the same ---dollar for dollar mile for mile --she is a DOLL. ---best all around transportation I ever heard of.

hagar.

PS : by-pass in this case means hoses with a tap to oil-cooler.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

[quote="libbybapa"]I'm pretty sure the info is in this thread, but 13 pages is a fair amount to search for these tidbits.

What should the internal pump pressure be at what rpm?

What should the flow per minute be at the fuel return at idle?

How do you adjust the pump pressure regulator?

Thanks.

Andrew[/quote]
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

believe me i am not trying to be rude at all but there isnt an answer to libbybapa's question

and thats all to test the pump, so you are saying that the only thing to get mileage up to 70 mpg is to adjust the timing for optimal milage through trial and error, run 5 psi of boost at 70 mph, no govenor mod, disable the LDA for mileage, injectors set at 155-160 bar, good lube fuel and the other things to the car like good grease, bearings, air pressure

if i am missing anything hagar let me know

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump