81 Rabbit IP Problem

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 81 Rabbit IP Problem

Post by Fatmobile »

You tried most of the things I would suggest.
I think just putting the screw in and hammering on it a little helps break them loose. Which probably goes for sticking just about anything down the hole and tapping on it.
I have used vice grips (on the wood screw) and a claw hammer to pull them.
Maybe some freeze-off down the hole would shrink them enough to break loose from the carbon.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

I have brand new heat shields. I'm just afraid to touch the damn thing lest I have to fix something else. I'm working on the A/C now. The metal tube on the suction side of the compressor is boogered up and won't seal where it connects to the hose. So me and my buddy from NAPA are trying to make one up that will work because you can't get that metal tube anywhere.It's just running so good right now that I hate to mess with it.
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I have quite a few AC hoses if you need one.
Put your car model and year in your sig, I forgot what you drive,.. or are trying to drive, ha.
Oh, I see it's in the thread title '81 Rabbit.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Fatmobile wrote:I have quite a few AC hoses if you need one.
Put your car model and year in your sig, I forgot what you drive,.. or are trying to drive, ha.
Oh, I see it's in the thread title '81 Rabbit.
Thanks again Fat. It's the metal tube on the suction side of the compressor. It makes a real funky two 90 degree bends and runs underneath the alternator. There's a small bracket brazed on to it that bolts to the compressor bracket also underneath the alternator. Then about another 45 degree bend and that's where it connects to the hose. I think we've got it worked out though. He ordered a 90 for a sanden compressor suction side. That'll screw on the compressor and he's going crimp another 90 on a hose and just run hose all the way to where it screws in to the evap coil. It's just going to be a few more fittings because the one he ordered doesn't have the service port like the old tube. He's going to crimp one in line on the hose instead. I kind of like that idea better because it's a mild PITA to get both hoses from your manifold on and off the stock setup because they're so close together. Only downfall IMHO is more places to leak. If you have one, let me know and if we can't make that work I'll give you a shout.
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Well my saga continues. I got pulled over last night on my way to work by the GSP gestapo to let me know I had a tail light out. I popped the hatch to look and the bulb holder had come out of the socket in the tail light assembly. Which incidentally melted the tail light assembly where it goes. So now I have to buy a whole left tail light assembly for that one. Those things ain't cheap from what I understand. Anyone here ever seen that movie "The money pit"? I think I'll make the sequel to it, good grief! WTH were the krauts thinking when they designed some of this stuff?

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I just stuck my bulb holder back in there and rigged a metal strap to keep it in place. Use LED bulbs too for brake/running lights, they run cooler, they are more visible (get red LED bulbs, I got mine off ebay). Just use standard bulbs for the turn signals so you don't have to mess with the flasher running too fast
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

bscutt wrote:I just stuck my bulb holder back in there and rigged a metal strap to keep it in place. Use LED bulbs too for brake/running lights, they run cooler, they are more visible (get red LED bulbs, I got mine off ebay). Just use standard bulbs for the turn signals so you don't have to mess with the flasher running too fast
Are they standard 1157 bulbs Bob? I didn't pay much attention as I was trying to get what was left of it out of the socket. I've seen them on ebay, don't know that I've seen them in red though. But that's a great idea. LED's last way longer and burn cooler than regular bulbs.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

Interesting post on the led's.

I redo my dashes by making plugs out of prewired single leds and hold them together with hot glue. I like the whole presentation at night.

I experimented in the dark with all sorts of bright led's I got from ebay. From what I have read certain colors have issues with brightness.

Anyways for whatever reason I found I got the best output and even color by using stock diffusers for the colors and using bright white leds. I especially liked the effect on the gage cluster.

I had experimented with some replacement led bulbs a couple years ago and really didn't like how it turned out in our older cars but for all I know I got junk.

I have looked at some modern day vehicles with led running lights and was surprised at the lack of brightness on certain models.

But then again I have seen examples of some really nice bright rear panels that stood out from the rest.

I'm not smart enough to know why that is. Like if its a quality, or brightness/number of lights, how they are diffused, etc.

If I ever get healthy enough to restore some of my personal cars I would like to replace the running lights with led setups, turn signals in the side mirrors and all sorts of good lighting inside and out just so you can see what you are doing.
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

damac wrote:Interesting post on the led's.

I redo my dashes by making plugs out of prewired single leds and hold them together with hot glue. I like the whole presentation at night.

I experimented in the dark with all sorts of bright led's I got from ebay. From what I have read certain colors have issues with brightness.

Anyways for whatever reason I found I got the best output and even color by using stock diffusers for the colors and using bright white leds. I especially liked the effect on the gage cluster.

I had experimented with some replacement led bulbs a couple years ago and really didn't like how it turned out in our older cars but for all I know I got junk.

I have looked at some modern day vehicles with led running lights and was surprised at the lack of brightness on certain models.

But then again I have seen examples of some really nice bright rear panels that stood out from the rest.

I'm not smart enough to know why that is. Like if its a quality, or brightness/number of lights, how they are diffused, etc.

If I ever get healthy enough to restore some of my personal cars I would like to replace the running lights with led setups, turn signals in the side mirrors and all sorts of good lighting inside and out just so you can see what you are doing.
That's strange that you mention that! I did the same exact thing in my 86 Golf years ago. The dash lights would not work. I sent the whole cluster to a guy to try and get them working and calibrate the speedo. He worked on the speedo, but didn't get the dash lights working. So I found 2 LED license plate bulbs that were blue at Advance Auto. I made the holes in the top of my cluster and glued them suckers in there. They don't put off a lot of light, but it's only 2 single LED bulbs. You can see the speedo just fine when it's good and dark.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Yes they are 1157s. I bought these 68X led bulbs for all 4 rear lights
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-RED-1157-BAY ... 75&vxp=mtr

or a set of 4 cheaper that I paid for 4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-1157-Red-BA ... 8f&vxp=mtr

I have considered pulling my cluster back out to do the lights in there with leds but can't force myself to tear that out again.
I'm currently doing floor pan replacement and that's a big enough job to last me for a long time!
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

bscutt wrote:Yes they are 1157s. I bought these 68X led bulbs for all 4 rear lights
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-RED-1157-BAY ... 75&vxp=mtr

or a set of 4 cheaper that I paid for 4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-1157-Red-BA ... 8f&vxp=mtr

I have considered pulling my cluster back out to do the lights in there with leds but can't force myself to tear that out again.
I'm currently doing floor pan replacement and that's a big enough job to last me for a long time!
I feel your pain my friend, believe me. I knew I was going to have to do some work on this car when I bought it because it sat so long without being driven. I guess I was just hoping it wouldn't all happen at once. It's a good thing that the guy I bought this rabbit from gave me a sack full of the sockets those bulbs go in. The one that came out of it's place broke all to pieces trying to get what was left of the bulb out.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

yeah no complaints, 11 years on a car I paid $740 for, it's a rolling restoration and my favorite car out of my corral. It will get whatever it needs to keep it on the road.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA