Head carnage

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

floyders
Glow Plug

Post by floyders »

Here's some more picts of my own PC problem.. very similar to the other one... but just wanted to share some eye candy.. :D

cheers
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I feel your pain brother! Was yours a recent rebuild?

Looks like a turbo head? (pock marks in the PC chambers) I assume your scrapping the head? If so would you be willing to sell your remaining good PC chambers?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Floyders,
How was the injector in that hole? Kinda looks like the prechamber was burned through and I've heard of pissing injectors burning holes in heads.
I'm starting to think pissing injectors might be the cause of at least some of these prechamber failures.
On the hydro TD Jetta parts car. I got last year, the glow plugs were burnt off and the prechambers were pushed up a little. I haven't tested the injectors that came out of the hydro TD yet.
I've heard talk of Mercedes injectors messing with VW prechambers,.. and they reportedly piss a stream for part of their spray.

Another good reason to check injectors.
Only been happening in TDs right?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Head carnage.

Post by hagar »

Olde hagar pipes up ----- after doing countless pre-chambers. -----IMHO we can not be too particular , doing VW diesel heads. ---Andrew in Flagstaff AZ ---you have a belt-sander for doing floors EH ? --works perfect if you go SLOW.

hagar would NEVER let someone else mill my heads. ----a really good operator can mill some heads. , my choice is a good tight surface grinder.-----a Shaper in the right hands will work.

For a dedicated DIY type a surface plate and abrasive is --IS BEST ---read my lips.

For doing the DECK (top of block) I use a piece of "I" beam..---and yes I am fuzzy --and it pays to be -- EH ?.

hagar.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

What would happen if you discarded all the cups good and chomped?
Apart from lowering compression ratio would the engine become more efficient due to the removal of restriction to expansion?
Wouldn't this simulate some of the older engines that have open recesses in the piston? Or even a TDI? :?: Nothing to loose someone, by just slappping an old gasket on and fireing it up for an experiment... :idea:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

That would be an interesting experiment. My guess would be the injectors and glow plugs are not made of robust enough material to handle the full combustion chamber experience. I also think it would be hard to start. Maybe lowering the compression ratio to 17 to 1 should help and then add a bigger turbo. I have heard talk of a direct injection head for a 1.6 from an east European country. Shorter pistons are also required.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Swirl is critical for proper combustion. The TDI has a complicated intake port to induce swirl, and the bowl in the piston has a volcano in the bottom and overhanging lips in the bowl, all to produce swirl. Without swirl, the air and fuel don't get evenly mixed and you get lots of unburnt fuel and unused oxygen.

My guess is an IDI would probably have barely enough power to idle without the prechambers.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Fatmobile wrote:How was the injector in that hole? Kinda looks like the prechamber was burned through and I've heard of pissing injectors burning holes in heads................................
Another good reason to check injectors. Only been happening in TDs right?
I agree that any failure like this the injectors should be checked. Especially now that I seem to have a knock that might be injector leaking.

Of course on mine the nozzles were new and shouldn't have been leaking. Anything is possible though.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>