Pulling Instrument Cluster - How to Deal With Speedo Cable??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Pulling Instrument Cluster - How to Deal With Speedo Cable??

Post by Thomas M »

I'm trying to access the voltage stabilizer on the back of the speedometer/clock cluster on my 1991 Jetta diesel.

The cable apparently must be disconnected in order to move the cluster out so that the stabilizer can be removed. I need options.

The cable must be detached from the speedometer or from the transmission so the cluster can move toward the driver and allow access to the back of the cluster.

I can't get my hands back there from below the dash in order to remove the cable at the speedometer and my Bentley shows something different than what I see back there as far as cable disconnect goes.

Is it easier to first release the cable from the tranny, which would then allow the cluster to be pulled out, with the cable still attached to it??

Can the cable be accessed from the radio hole, after the radio has been removed???

Comments or pointers are appreciated.

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I've always been able to reach over the top of the cluster and depress the two clips on the speedo cable and pull it out. My hands are small. You can give yourself some more room by undoing it from the tranny.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

It's been a while since I pulled one out of my 82 Rabbit, but I do remember either pulling it out slightly and reaching over the top, or reaching from below and undoing it. It took me a while to get it out if I remember correctly.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

I have pretty good sized mitts but can still manage to stuff myself under the dash in such a way as to unscrew the retention cap and pull the cable.
Diesel Newbedo
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I get at it from the top as well. Don't get frustrated. Sometimes it still takes me 10 minutes to get it back in.

Also, before you put everything back together, go for a test drive. One time I put the entire dash back together only to find out that the cable was not fully attached. Mind you the little clip on the cable is broken. :)
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Unscrew speedo cable from the gearbox and push the cable through the firewall to give more room for your hands :idea:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

My clips broke on my speedo as well. I would go over a big bump and my speedo would stop. So I would lift the hood and push it back in again. Then I got an idea. I put a tie strap around the cable and fastened it to the fire wall. It hasn't jumped out for a year and now I have newer cable with clips to replace it.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I think you can pull the cluster out a little and it will drop down and let you get your hand behind it.
..or one side drops down or something,.. it's been awhile
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

Thanks for all of the tips. They all make good sense. I appreciate the struggle that is required to get this puppy apart. I'm better prepare to get my knuckles a little bloody! ! ! ! !

I have the cluster loose except for the cable and the single wiring harness connector on my '91 Jetta diesel.

I have to drive to the parts dealer to get the voltage stabilizer. And with all of this effort it is going to be replaced, regardless. While I am in there I figure that I may as well replace the panel lights, one of which is burned out.

I have made some sense of the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual. So, I will also check the ground(brown) wire on the wiring harness for solid contact.

I also came to the conclusion that some functional testing would be a good idea before I button things up.

Question:
the panel lights, square shaped black, near the top of the instrument cluster.
How are they removed??? They look like they twist out.

Comments please.
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Thomas M wrote:Question: the panel lights, square shaped black, near the top of the instrument cluster. How are they removed??? They look like they twist out. Comments please.
Yep, a short counterclockwise twist should do it.

J.R.
SoCal
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

It appears that there is too much allowed deflection built into the speedo cable clip. It looks like, if it is fully depressed, it very well could break, especially since the plastic gets brittle over time. It doesn't take much pressure on the clip to get the cable to release.

I got at mine by first detaching the cable at the transmission (I put a small baggie over the exposed gear to keep dirt out) and moving the instrument cluster forward. Still it was a tight situation for my "normal"(?) sized hands.

I replaced the voltage stabilizer and checked my grounds and voltages. I'm not sure what I was looking for. The gauges are still inop, so I am going to take it in to my favorite shop and let them fix it.
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When I get a bad speedo cable,
I cut the end off (after it's removed) and use it for a trany plug, to close the speedo hole,..
so don't throw a bad speedo cable away,,. not saying yours is bad.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
vixentd
Cetane Booster

speedo cable

Post by vixentd »

hances are if you try to pry it away from the back of the cluster you will break the tabse on the speedo cabl.

Remove the drivers side vent.
1. a small screwdriver wedged in on each side of the bent part the swivels will remove the louver.
2. Remove the one screw that holds the housing to the dash.
3. Slide the plastic houseing away from the dash, and it will slide off the vent pipe that carries the air to the vent.
4. reach you hand in and press the tabs to remove the speedo cable.

It is a 3 min job to remove the vent. Qucker and cleaner than the speedo connection at tranny and safer as it is easy to knock off the end if the speedo gear in the tranny.
If it doesn't rattle it isnt a diesel! 35mpg for a motorhome! 106 mph! www.vixenrv.org
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

vixentd wrote: "... 4. reach you hand in and press the tabs to remove the speedo cable... "

You are gifted, indeed. Couldn't begin to get my paw in there. I've found it necessary to undergo contortions and work from the bottom, or else loosen the dash mountings... or both. Expect some minor skin abrasions/avulsions.

Agree completely with removal at the 'top' being preferable to losing parts 'down the hole' at the tranny end of the cable.

J.R.
SoCal