VW owner likes Mercedes

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

robbertwilliams
Cetane Booster

VW owner likes Mercedes

Post by robbertwilliams »

hey,
There is a 1983 Mercedes 250D for sale in town, mint condition. Can't get a hold of them for questions. I am wondering is the 250 a turbo D or not? Also, I own an 82 Jetta D, the 1.6N/A, wondering if the Mercedes might be a more economical alternative to to my ride. It's interior looks more plush and spacious. How is the reliability? Power? Fuel Economy? I hate to ask this on a VW page...I love my VW and my girlfriends (in the shop, as I have hit a deer with it 2010 Jetta TDI). But my cars entail a 1982 VW Jetta D with 350K + and a 2002 Nissan Frontier with 150K plus...I am looking for another endeavor. I don't want a new car payment but I want a car that will haul something...unlike the Jetta and be somewhat road worthy, like 1500 mi trips. I am not a diesel genius but I am growing in the aspect that I will tackle anything. If a mechanic can do it, so can I. I have heard good things about these Mercedes, what do you guys and gals know?
1982 Jetta D 268k/who knows
robbertwilliams
Cetane Booster

Post by robbertwilliams »

By the way, my Jetta is road worthy. I will stand by it for any trip...with AAA. But the GF needs something that is hands down....maybe that means something that gets worked on by a real mechanic....a working machine. I love diesels. I have come from a line of Volvo's. I love them with my life...but the early 80's of my liking are not the most reliable, a lot of electrical problems.
1982 Jetta D 268k/who knows
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Amen on the electrical probs, mostly i think from the incessant windshield leaking probs that soaks the fuse box which is as you guessed it right under the area where they leak the most. As to the merc. I also have looked at a couple and would probably consider one if the price was right. As to economy i don;t think you'll see the kind of fuel economy your vdub gets you even though the merc. is turbo. Just have fun man one of life's simplest pleasures is a new toy for us gearheads.
rs899
Cetane Booster

Post by rs899 »

There is no 250D so I assume you are talking about a 240D? In stick form they are about as reliable as you could get for an '80s car. But you are talking about a 3000+ car with a 62 hp non-turbo engine. So forget about hauling anything. Fuel economy can be mid-30s with a stick under ideal conditions ( ihave done this). Maybe 30 with an automatic. But sloooow...

Rick
VW cat
Turbo Charger

Post by VW cat »

A favorite is the 5 cylinder 617 turbo diesel engine in the mid '80's 300 model. I drive the earlier NA version in a Ford Ranger every day, but power is just borderline(80hp). Best to do your research over on the Merc forum first, before you by a car. The 4 cylinder has got to be an absolute dog, I can't imagine driving one. Might be okay in flat rural country. Mileage is not going to be the same as the VW engine; the 617 engine itself is quite heavy, and usually only in front of an automatic.

These are a nice engine, very consistent and love vegetable oil. I do lean toward them over the VW. They don't like the cold and I don't think they will start unaided in the colder temps that the VW diesel will. Anything below freezing and I have to plug it in.

The quality in these early cars is hard to believe, still best to do lots of research before you buy. Phil