Found out why she's been feeling puny lately!!!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Found out why she's been feeling puny lately!!!

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

She's not been up to snuff lately so by chance i was at fast food place and while waiting on order i noticed i was setting on slope & it idi'nt creep backward. SOO i found rt side front caliper sticking. Should be an easy fix. Hoorah and here i was thinking she was loosing power for some unexplanded reason. On another more powerful vehicle i might not of even noticed it as it's not dragging badly enough it smell brakes but definately enough to feel the aditional heat on that wheel. :)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Should be an easy fix. Fronts are usually really easy to fix. I've potentially discovered a dragging/sticking caliper under two driving/braking situations:

- vehicle pulls to one direction when driving. Direction of pull is the side the sticking caliper is on.

- vehicle suddenly pulls to one direction when the brakes are first applied. Direction of pull is opposite the side of the sticking caliper.

The second situation is where the caliper still moves, but sticks at it's present position until more brake pressure is applied. Thus, giving a tug on the wheel to the opposite direction when the other side brake caliper starts to drag on the wheel when the brake is pressed.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

draging brakes

Post by 81caddyGuy »

In the quest for better mileage I was hoping I would not find a dragging brake but one fo my rear drums is dragging, not bad but still drags. I am afraid to take it apart right now because I will want to spend money to make it perfect and cant affford it right now.
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I've found that rear wheel cylinders are incredibly easy, and cheap!, to replace. Aside from new shoes, you really only have to deal with inspecting and regreasing the bearings, and *maybe* putting on new spring sets if yours are in rough shape.

I'm glad I got my rear wheel issues out of the way.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

too much

Post by 81caddyGuy »

I just dont want to get into it and find bearings that need to be replaced or grese seals and or shoes, springs, wheel cylinders. I fear if i start messing with the brakes it is gonna get crazy. All my previous vw's were very tempremantal. I am convinced if i fix something on the caddy (bought it a few months back) that something else get jealous and breaks. I dont want that to be the case with the brakes. I need go replace the clutch cable, relay lever and relay shaft bushings as well as order more parts for the IP and reassemble it. The brakes will have to wait for a month or so. My fiancee's 2002 camaro's brakes are making noise and she would shit if screwed with my brakes and left hers. Not really a b!t@# sesion I want aimed at me any time soon. Camaro gets rotors cut and all new pads. Mine comes latter. :roll:
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Oh man, I totally understand.

I thought I was in for a quick and easy axle and front bearing job... turned into all that plus ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, tie rod boots, rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. What I thought was to be two days turned into two weeks!
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Ok guy's I got her fixed and i was lucky to have a good caliper on my parts car.About 1 hr. of work was all it took. She runs like normal now. later dudes. :)