'86 Jetta TD Air Filter plumbing

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Mr. Natural
Glow Plug

'86 Jetta TD Air Filter plumbing

Post by Mr. Natural »

I have an 1986 Jetta Turbo Diesel, which is missing the plumbing from the air filter housing to the passenger side fender. I believe that this should have a rubber boot on the air filter housing inlet that runs to some sort of fitting screwed onto the passenger fender. There is a hole in the passenger fender for this purpose. But these two items are missing.

Can anyone here describe what the stock fender well fitting is supposed to look like? I have seen a couple of different setups at the wrecking yard, but am not sure what the stock setup was. I picked up a rather elaborate VW black plastic fixture that resides inside the fender well with a water drain at the bottom and an air inlet at the top from a gasser. Will this flow well enough for the TD or should I chop the bulk of it off?

It would be nice to increase the air supply to this engine. Has anyone adapted one of the other VW MK2 air cleaners for use on their 1.6L IDI TD? I prefer to stick with junkyard parts so I can use off the shelf filters.

Thanks in advance for helping me grok the missing parts.
Mr. Natural
1986 VW Jetta GL Turbo Diesel