Just acquired 2005 jetta

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Just acquired 2005 jetta

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Hey guy's i just got a very nice 2005 Jetta w/152xxx miles that appears to be well taken care of. My question is this. The guy that sold it to me say's it has the bx or maybe bw motor or something like that and that it's rated at 130 hp and 200+ torque. It;s got the tiptronic and is very lively compared to the 1.6 na rabbit i moved up from. Any info appreciated. Thanks :)
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Is this an early or late 2005 (MKIV of MKV)? Either way they were stock with the 100 HP PD motor unless this one was somehow imported or maybe a Canada version (not sure what they sold there). I think the euro versions were 140 HP or so (maybe 130?), but I'm not sure. either way these engines are way more powerful than the 1.6 NA with gobs of torque. My son's new 2010 Golf TDI makes my 2006 seem like a slouch but I am quite happy with the power and mileage I am getting. Now if it holds up like the 1.6 NA I will be very happy.

Congrats on the new purchase. I still drive my 82 every day, it still has more character than my TDI will ever have. Although the A/C and creature comforts in the TDI makes the family happy and is nice when it's 100 degrees outside like today! (of course I still drove the Rabbit today - AC works great if you can keep the belt from squealing)
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Yes i agree, the 1.6 is going to be missed. I really worked hard on that thing, but i think it was a labor of love. Anyways the new ride is really something, i just drove it back almost 190 miles yesterday and i enjoyed everymile of it. Anyways i'll try and call the guy again and get more info on that engine.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Maybe they said it is a BEW block.
I've heard of that block code but don't know much about them.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Bingo, I just talked with P.O. and he told me it is a BEW engine code. I'll do a little research online.
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Ok just did a search online and all i can come up with power wise is that it;s got 99 hp @177 ft# at approx 2600 rpm's. Not exactly what he was saying. I do take everything he's told me seriously as everthing about the car that he's said up to now has been spot on. Maybe i'm mistaken or he;s gotten bad info. Remember he said 130 HP @200+ ft#
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

That's the standard PD motor spec, essentially 100Hp and 177 ft-lb. Great motor. Glad to hear yours works great at 152K miles, mine is approaching 49K and I hope to get many more out of it. There have been postings on some forums about shortened cam life with these motors due to the use of the cam to drive the injection system, but if you stick religiously to 505.01 oil they are supposed to be ok. Using anything else will break the cam and make a big pile of rubble out of your engine.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Yeah i just priced that stuff. Approx $8.00 a quart, but i would never even consider trying to sidestep the 505.01 requirement.Oh yes and do I understand correctly that there is no ve type pump? Is the pump individualized for each injector and pulsed with two injection events per cycle at high pressure or is that another motor?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Yes the PD motor compresses the fuel off the camshaft so no VE pump at all. Not sure about the frequency off the pulses, but it's definitely the cam that replaces the VE pump. I have the Bentley for my 06 if you need to know anyhting specific. I haven't read through the whole thing yet, it's pretty big. Not sure about the 05 if it's a MKIV but the MKV (larger body style) uses electric power steering and the A/C compressor has no clutch but uses electronically controlled valves to regulate flow through the compressor in response to heat load and temperature setting in the dash. I did not know that until I ran across it in the Bentley about a month ago. Hence no big loss of power when the AC is turned on, just a gentle load increase. Interesting approach, hope it holds up since I keep my cars 15-20 years on average.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Post by BlueDog »

Last weekend I bought a 2004 Jetta GLS TDI for my wife to drive. It's a BEW engine code with a 6PC transmission code. 177,600 miles and clean as a whistle inside and out. Appears to have been very well cared for. So, she drives the '04 Jetta and I'll continue to drive the '89 two door w/ the 1.6NA. Anybody want to buy a '01 Villager mini van? What is this special oil spec you guys talk of?
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354
nysmketr
Glow Plug

Post by nysmketr »

BlueDog wrote:Last weekend I bought a 2004 Jetta GLS TDI for my wife to drive. It's a BEW engine code with a 6PC transmission code. 177,600 miles and clean as a whistle inside and out. Appears to have been very well cared for. So, she drives the '04 Jetta and I'll continue to drive the '89 two door w/ the 1.6NA. Anybody want to buy a '01 Villager mini van? What is this special oil spec you guys talk of?
Your wife is making out like mine. I also will be driving an 89 N/A (with performance IP mod) and wife gets the 09 TDI.

Just something about those Mk2's that grow on you........
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

The oil spec is 505.01 which is a very thin synthetic oil that is required (no exceptions) for the PD engine. Without it, you can have camshaft failure in short order. Castrol makes it but I usually have to go to the dealer to buy it. Since I have had dealer oil changes for the last 50K miles I haven't had to look, but now the car is out of warranty so I will be looking for my own supply. Has to be cheaper than the $100+ oil change at the dealer.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Post by BlueDog »

About that 505.01 spec, thanks Bob, I would have probably never given it a thought. PO told me they have always used synthetic oil and only a couple brands were considered acceptable and met specs. I just assumed it was no big deal but now I'm convinced. Generally speaking I prefer thicker oils and use 15w-30 diesel oil from NAPA or Valvoline in my '89 Jetta w/ 1.6NA. I'm fine with the requirement to use synthetic in the '04. Guess I'll need to learn which brands are to spec. I'm surprised that the owners manual suggests oil changes at intervals of 10,000 miles. That's a lot of miles in my opinion.
Yes nysmketr, there is something about those Mk2's that grow on you. I like mine a lot. I'm currently working on re-installing the Inj. Pump after replacing many of the seals due to a fuel leak. Having some trouble with this and it's causing me some anxiety. Hope yours is running well. What's the performance mod you write of? Please tell me more about this.
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354