Converting a 1971 VW Camper to a Turbo Diesel

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Converting a 1971 VW Camper to a Turbo Diesel

Post by bscutt »

Thanks. Not sure what I'll do with the Rabbit, I no longer drive it in the rain and for sure not in any snow. If you see my thread on floor pans you will see what the crap they put on the roads did to my undercarriage and 9 weeks of rework was enough to make me keep it off the road except in nice weather. I also have a leak through my rain tray near the heater/AC plenum that I have been unable to completely solve so it has a magnetic cover over the cowl vents when it's parked. So in the rain that means some water getting into the front passengers floor pan when driving and that is totally unsat. Good thing I have other cars to drive

Anyway I'll give it some thought. I am losing my 2 post lift since my friend who has it in his garage is moving and will rent out his house so I will probably sell him the lift. If so I'll have no good facilities for an engine swap. Too many things to keep up with. Considering just running this until it dies and finding a nice replacement but that may be several years away if I can keep the rust under control.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Completely understood!

(and now you've gotten me thinking about a two-post lift!)
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

The lift is awesome and I got mine used for under $1K. Hammer drill, inserts, and hefty bolts got it all installed with lots of measuring. It picks up my F150 pretty well but we have limited it to small cars. It's only 7000lb capacity but never had any issues with it. Wish I could have it t my house but you saw my garage and my wife isn't too crazy about having a lift in the living room. :roll:
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe