Converting a 1971 VW Camper to a Turbo Diesel

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Converting a 1971 VW Camper to a Turbo Diesel

Post by bscutt »

It's a huge project but you're getting close. Hang in there, it looks like it will be great when all the bugs are worked out and the finishing touches done.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
avocado
Turbo Charger

Intermediate Shaft Bearings

Post by avocado »

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to replace my intermediate shaft bearings based on low oil pressure once the engine is warmed up (20-30 psi at 3000+ RPM, measured at the oil flange).

She's above 70 or 80 at startup, but that doesn't mean anything, and from what I've read, that's low anyway.

None of this comes as a surprise, because the oil pressure buzzer was coming on when I was driving the donor jetta home, but annoying nonetheless.

Anyway, so I'll be pulling the oil pan, checking oil pump tolerances and making sure there are no obstructions on the screen, then buying the parts for the I-shaft. May check the main bearing as well - why not - but we'll see.

I probably won't tackle that just yet though...I'm going to spend some time debugging other stuff and working through my .to-do list before I go and pull the engine.
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Checked the compression:

390, 350, 350, 350, although the 2nd (?) cylinder was done cold because it took me a while to figure out where all the bolts on the IP were, as I had to move it for clearance.

(the 390 is the cylinder closest to the timing belt)

A bit daunting to move the IP for the first time, not to mention pull the injectors, but...all steps in learning how to work on these engines.

Sump has been drained, gonna check the pump clearances tomorrow. High volume oil pump has been ordered nonetheless. The next step is to have the injectors tested/balanced (although I should have run Diesel Purge through them first...duh), track down the oil leak ( leaking like a sieve again...suspect valve cover gasket), then figure out if I have to do the Intermediate shaft bearings or not. Going to order an oil cooler too (gotta find the thermostatic sandwich plate for the oil filter that I ordered too).

OK. Bedtime.
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

1. oil pump replaced with high volume pump. pump was barely in spec on axial play...no idea how to measure the backlash... (tips?)
2. injectors out for new nozzles.
3. 3 glowplugs are bad, waiting for fast relay kit and new plugs from jack.
4. realized that the new valve cover hex bolts i installed were too long and bottomed out before tightening the valve cover all the way down...guessing that's the source of my big oil leak...

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

New high volume oil pump: installed
New glowplugs and relay (fast variety, meyle brand, from Jack): Installed
New injector nozzles: installed
Injectors: re-installed

Next:
1. replace valve cover gasket studs with shorter ones that don't bottom out,
2. fill 'er with oil,
3. fiddle with the timing,
4. test drive!
5. hillbilly tune.
6. Add oil cooler.

Notes:
1. damn there was a lot of soot/carbon in those injector bodies! I had to use a punch to get the nozzles out of the bodies on three of the injectors.
2. I just used the same shims in each injector and am going to hope for the best because I can't find anywhere within 30 miles that does pop-testing (and 50 miles is too far for a beater engine).
3. Shims were: #1 (2 shims), #2 (1 shim), #3 (no shims - is this a problem?), #4 (1 shim)
4. Injector bodies and nozzles were all "France" New nozzles are India.

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Crap. I think the temperature sensor on the head outlet flange is toast (failed open at 0 ohms). This means my glow plugs aren't cycling on with the new relay (old relay didn't seem to care).

Hrm...it's a b*tch to get to, so I guess I'm just going to disconnect the wire for the time being. If it's extra wear on the glow plugs, so be it until the next time I pull the engine.

Le sigh.

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

If you have a standard glow plug relay setup, disconnecting the temperature sensor will let them come on but they may not shut off automatically so just count the seconds then crank
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

bscutt wrote:If you have a standard glow plug relay setup, disconnecting the temperature sensor will let them come on but they may not shut off automatically so just count the seconds then crank
Thanks...that's what I did! :D

After that, I took her for a spin last night, and here are my impressions:

1. With new glow plugs, it immediately wants to start, but I need the cold-start pulled for it to keep running. (Ambient temp: 43degF, ~6degC)

2. I have the IP timed by ear, but I was getting a lot of bucking and smoke when I first fired her up. Advancing the timing seemed to help, but I may have to start playing with the fueling.

3. New, high volume oil pump seems to have boosted my oil pressure just enough that I'm no longer out of spec, but not by much, so it's definitely a band aid. Next step will be to investigate the Intermediate Shaft, but I'm not going to rush to do it.

4. My "auxiliary radiator" (a ford truck heater core, positioned where it can get ram air) seems to be keeping my coolant temperatures right where I want them to be, at least on a cool day: temperatures hovered right around 180degF. This may even be a little low, but the thermostat on the radiator seemed to be opening after a long run. I'm thinking adding a thermostatically controlled oil cooler is going to probably get me where I need to go with regards to summer operation, but it probably won't do wonders for my oil pressure. Also considering doing some tests with a side air-scoop attached to see if I can get more ram air into the rear-mounted radiator.

5. Power is good.

Things to fix/track down:
A. Valve cover gasket may still be leaking. Need shorter hex shoulder bolts... What was the pitch on those again?
B. Need to measure for then order a custom throttle cable. Should rig something for the cold-start as well.
C. Adjust shift-plate: it's hard going into first.
D. Adjust fuel screw per hagar.
E. Probably need a tranny mount to reduce torque on the engine.

Musings:
I wonder if some sort of cascading effect might happen with my aux radiator where:
(T-stat closed on start-up)
(1) High flow of coolant to Aux Rad w/ ram air. Cooling good, warm up time average.
(2) Coolant warms up, T-stat on full radiator starts to open.
(3) T-stat opening results in less flow to Aux Rad with ram air, more flow to rad in engine compartment. Result: cooling via ram air is reduced.
(4) Cooling fan has to run more.

I'm already running the warmer T-stat (82degC, maybe? I have a 78degC one too), so I'm doing all that I can in that regard. I'm just dubious about the amount of ram air I'm getting to the radiator and wonder how effective it is when I'm in motion and the fan isn't on. Next step is to run a light to the radiator fan so I can monitor when it's on.

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Some of this is a duplicate of the last post, but it has a little more data as I went for a longer test drive...

Timing and fuel are adjusted. Still need to tighten down the other 3 IP bolts though.

#4 Injector had some fuel at the seam where it screws together, retorque'd to 52 ft-lb.

Valve cover is still leaking with new, shorter allen-head bolts. Put a bit of gasket sealant on there to see if it makes a difference. Getting tired of that particular oil leak. May try a new valve cover next, as I already attempted to bang this one straight.

Power is good.

Getting enough pressure in the engine compartment when cruising at speed (52-60 mph) that the hatch blew out (it's only held in by gravity at this point. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing: I guess that depends on whether the air pressure is coming in from the scoops, if there's an exhaust leak, or if it's coming from the front of the vehicle. I think I'm going to have to fashion a piece of engine tin to deflect air coming in from the front of the vehicle anyway, but this is way low on my priority list.

Operating temperatures still appear to be pretty decent, if a little low. At ambient temps of 55-60degF, indicated water temperature stays around 165-170degF until I get a good, sustained run in. At that point, temps stay around 180degF and bob up to 190 periodically. That's still only a short ride at speed (2 miles?), but I'm waiting until I get my oil leak sorted before I take her out for a highway run.

Oil pressures are low, within spec after the high volume oil pump install: 10 psi at hot idle, ~23-25 psi at 2000 rpm (spec is > 20.3 psi). Enough to get me by for a while, but trouble in the long run.

avocado
Turbo Charger

Oil Leak!

Post by avocado »

ARGH!

Still have a persistent oil leak!

I'm presuming it's the valve cover, mostly because at various times the valve cover wasn't fully seated, but after trying to bang the f*#ker flat, use a rubber gasket, change out the studs to allen head bolts, and use a little sealant, the damn thing is still leaking!

As a last ditch I'm going to move back to a cork gasket and try to find a good, used valve cover, but... DAMN! I'm getting nickel and dime'd on oil costs and hardware here...

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

First trip out on the highway tonight.

Ambient conditions: ~60degF, light rain, ~83% humidity.

Cruised at 55-60 up a long, moderate incline from the Hot Metal Bridge exit of I-376 in PGH to the Greensburg Pike exit (6 miles).

At the end of the grade, coming out of the Squirrel Hill tunnel (about the 5 mile mark), the water temperature started increasing from the 175-180degF it had been holding steady at, up to 200degF. The temperature was just starting to cross over 205 when I got off the exit and pulled onto a side street to let her cool down.

So, now I know that my cooling system still isn't adequate. Bummer, but better to know so I can make changes now than find out later.

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Been getting some work done on the bus the last couple of times I've been home to PGH, but it's been two steps forward, one step back.

Spent a bunch of time fabbing up a radiator mount for the front of the bus, and then decided against it (for now).

Block heater died, and one of my glow plugs shorted out as well.

Still not sure if the radiator + scoop + oil cooler will be sufficient during summer and spring temperatures, but they appear to be sufficient at cold temperatures such as the ones we're currently experiencing.

I installed a solenoid for my glow plugs, but it doesn't seem to be working properly as of yet (cycles on, but not off) so I have to check the ground.

VanBoy
Cetane Booster

Post by VanBoy »

If ya ever saw the back end of a transit type rear engine bus/school bus, then you know what it's like to shove a bunch of stuff into a small compartment. :mrgreen:

Nice work....looked at the links. I don't know if I would have the patience for a long, long project. I might.....
1999 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L Power Stroke
1990 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L IDI x2
1977 Kenworth K100 Cummins NTC-350
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins NTC-290
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins Formula 290 (ongoing project)
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L (ongoing project)
And a few other gas rigs....
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

VanBoy wrote:If ya ever saw the back end of a transit type rear engine bus/school bus, then you know what it's like to shove a bunch of stuff into a small compartment. :mrgreen:

Nice work....looked at the links. I don't know if I would have the patience for a long, long project. I might.....
Thanks VanBoy... I'm almost at my wits end, but I'm very close. This weekend will be the true test, as I'm going to attempt to drive it about 240 miles from Pittsburgh to DC (where I'm living for the year).

We'll see how she does on the interstate and/or if I need to stick to rural routes (which are bound to have more hills). I was kinda banking on it being cold (which has helped with the "somewhat marginal cooling system"), but it looks like it's mother nature has a sense of humor and it's going to be in the 60s...

Le Sigh.

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Well if you need tech support or parts in the DC area PM me. Would love to see the bus. I am in Northern VA about 1o miles south of the DC line
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA