80 caddy brake booster failure - pedal upgrade?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

gabberdave
Glow Plug

80 caddy brake booster failure - pedal upgrade?

Post by gabberdave »

I have 80 caddy with the older style brake booster (the brake booster pushrod is threaded on the end on to which connects to a yoke that captures the brake pedal - apparently 80 was a split year). The booster has given up the ghost and apparently, no one is rebuilding these anymore. Thus I'm trying to determine what will be involved in upgrading to the later style booster/servo whose shaft that comes into the passenger compartment ends in a ring (and does not appear to have a mechanism for adjustment). I'm trying to understand if I need a new booster + some magical connection link to the pedal, a new booster + pedal, new booster + pedal assembly, new booster + pedal + master cylinder etc etc...

Has anyone gone through this upgrade? (searches have not yielded anything about this). Is an upgrade even needed - can I simply swap the pushrods out (something I forgot to test when I had one of the newer style in my possession)?

How does the later style servo linkage adjust the travel of the brake pedal?

Does anyone have pictures of how the later 80 and up pushrod connects to the pedal?