broken hard line

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hjalbert
Turbo Charger

broken hard line

Post by hjalbert »

If an injector hard line breaks, are there any temorary fixes? such as removing the metering valve from the back of the ip? Prob not.... Just trying to figure out a way to limp home 12 miles without spraying fuel everywhere.
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The delivery valve is essential, so no joy there.

Depending on the leak, some folks have been able to patch the line with tin foil, duct tape, etc, more just to make it trickle to a known location rather than spray all over everywhere... you're fighting 2000+ psi.

If the leak is big enough the injector's not gonna fire anyways so you could simply disconnect the line from the top of the injector and lead it into some kind of catch bottle.. limping home on three cylinders.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Was it line #2? This is the line that's the most susceptable to breakage, if all the bolts on the IP aren't tight, and all the bolts on your brackets aren't tight. There is a temporary flexible line that can be purchased to use in a pinch. I would just take some old fuel line and try to direct the fuel down under the car after removing the broken part of the line and fix it when you get home.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Broken injector line.

Post by hagar »

hjalbert :
12 miles ? limp home on 3 . No problem .

hagar
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

yeah, made it home easy on 3. funny thing was other then the slight shudder upon acceleration, couldn't really tell a huge difference. I have worked on bigger diesels when in school, and remembered being able to shut down the fuel to problem cylinders, so as not to put them under a load and cause more problems. I was trying to think of a manual way of doing this. Alas, short of carrying a cap capable of handling 2000 psi, or somehow diverting the spray of fuel into the tank, what i did is gonna have to be fine. (drove home, ignored smell, when I got home, parked, went inside, made dinner. its friday, no chance of finding new lines before monday)
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

12 miles ... just a hop skip and a jump ...

drove home , 75 miles in winter ( #2 line broke) , pulled the turbo boost line ... slipped the line over the broken line (+ duct tape) and dumped it on the ground away from the rubber rad hoses ( no suitable catch can ) ... now I carry a spare set of lines just in case... :oops:
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

I had a shorter run than that (about 10km) that I had to do with a cracked line... I wrapped a big rag around it and drove home, then ordered new lines... There really isn't all THAT much fuel coming out of a broken injector line on that short of a drive, a few hundred mL tops...
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta