MK1 IDI to TDI swap

Upgrades to the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.9 engines that make them go farther or faster

Should I swap from IDI to TDI?

All all costs YES.
60%
Yes but it will be tricky to dial it in.
No votes
No way it wont fit.
No votes
No its not worth the effort.
20%
keep it original.
20%

Total votes: 5

81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

MK1 IDI to TDI swap

Post by 81caddyGuy »

Just looking for some ideas for the caddy. I would like to be able to drive down the interstate with a/c and not block traffic. I would like to use the 020 tranny (mine or another) and an on the fence about going to a MTDI or electric. I am leaning toward MTDI as wel have no emissions here in FL and was considering the eco/power set up like haggar has for smileage.
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't think any of those apply.
It would be worth the effort,... it's a worthy project.

and keeping it original if it's not what you want doesn't make sense.

Those are the only 2 options against it.

Most of your concerns can be addressed by putting a turbo on the engine you have,...
there you go, put a VNT-15 on it and you are part way toward a TDI.
Enjoy riding around in the 1.6TD,
while you take your time to build a TDI.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

why worthy

Post by 81caddyGuy »

Why do you say a worthy project? I have not lookind into this very deeply yet so is there somthing major i am missing? I do not want to turbo this engine as there are no piston cooling jets. As a diesel mechanic I now how much any increase of inlet pressure (boost) will raise cumbution temperatures. I would like to go to an aneroid pump to contorl the fuel as opposed to the electronic setup if possible. I was going to research if or what models vw used the aneroid direct injected engine and buy a servie manual for it to see al the specifics about the fuel and mechanical system.
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That's just crazy talk :lol:

I don't think it would hurt to turbo your engine.
I put a VNT-15 on an old Rabbit 1.5 and beat it pretty hard with no problems.

Worthy project because the TDI is more efficient, more powerful, more modern technology.

Boost won't increase combustion temps,
more fuel will.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

I am about to put a Garret TB-25 from a Saab 900, I've heard good stories about 1.6l NA with a turbo install

Any thoughts?
ibizz
Cetane Booster

Post by ibizz »

i wont to put a turbo on my 1.9d na

its a 1y engine
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

Re: MK1 IDI to TDI swap

Post by 81caddyGuy »

well i guess i need to do it afterall. Went to work today and kept smelling oil. i thought it was the honda in front of me :lol: turns out a have oily black sludge spewing out of my expansion tank :cry: guess its time to do something. anyone got a spare TDI for sale? :roll:
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

I had actually thought about the same swap for my caddy a few years ago. I had bought a TDI, then looked at all the wiring and sensors, etc. I remembered how much trouble the TDI in my New Beetle gave me before I unloaded it and considered that electronics are just not my cup of tea. On top of all this, I'd have needed an 02a transmission with it's shifter box, cable shifter and hydraulic clutch.
In short, I considered my options and erred on the side of simplicity rather than electronics. I got a complete AAZ powertrain from a Passat wagon, did a performance build on the engine, and a tranny rebuild and dropped it in. Torque abounds and it is absolutely simple with a single wire to the Giles-built injection pump. I couldn't be happier.
I know there are MTDis around, but I never saw one that ran right and the high injector pressures make them deafeningly noisy. On top of that, the homebuilt hybrid pump is very expensive and wear-prone.
Simplistically, you have to weigh the options yourself and decide.
Good luck with the build.
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

Libby, Why did I know that this would be your reply? :roll:

In the end, you've just got to do what you feel is right. If you want the mTDI, you will have to live with it and no-one else, so just do it. After all, it is your car. :wink:
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
coke

Post by coke »

Andrew's post is spot on. The AAZ had all the problems and nothing good. I would go for a TDI over an AAZ any day of the week. My father has one in his 98 TDI and short of having to change the oil feed line for the turbo and the distributor head o-ring, that thing has performed flawlessly and yields 56 mpg consistently with awesome power output. It starts on the coldest days in Maine without a hint of difficulty. The only thing it does is spew a little smoke which clears off after its running.

The TDI is a great engine. The older ones moreso than the newer ones (I hate the newer ones with the common rail system)
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

Wow, I sure wish I'd read these posts before I built a 147 whp, 255 ft lb monster that gets 61 mpg (Canadian Gallon) and performs flawlessly with a single engine wire.
Last edited by dubdoc on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
buggin2
Glow Plug

Post by buggin2 »

I installed a aftermarket turbo on my 1.6 L and have ran it hard 3 years with no problem, it does not have oil squirters for the pistons or turbo pistons, everything is stock non turbo 1981 1.6 L diesel one wire to pump I love the simplicety of it, good power to, not as much as tdi I'm sure but livable :)
Vdub driver